Ram for dfi nf4 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice to see that a mobo manufacturer besides ABIT is putting out the extra money to put the good japanese caps on their boards. The specs for the board says it only supports DDR 400. So does that mean it won't support a Clawhammer with 1GHz FSB? weird. Anyway if you have a 1GHz FSB you would need the PC5000. i still don't get it. Sorry I'm an Intel guy so I'm not really into AMD, but no one was answering your post so.......... I thought all the 939 socket AMD's were 1GHz FSB? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

AMD Athlon64/Opteron chips do not have a FSB. They connect directly to the memory & have a HyperTransport link to communicate between the CPU & the chipset Northbridge (& the rest of the system of course). 800mhz & 1Ghz are the speeds of the HyperTransport link.

So Didou. The HyperTransport is 5X the core clock on the 64's. Is that right? Then the core would be 200MHz and you would use PC3200 for stock settings?

Yeah, the ht bus is 5x the htt clock(200mhz), unless you're overclocking. I have my 3000+ at 4x htt multi and my htt clock at 245mhz. My cpu multi is 9x, so 9x x htt clock(245) = 2205mhz(base 1800). My memory can't do much over 220 htt clock, so I used a 5:6 memory divider(which slows down the memory clock in relation to htt clock) and my memory is right around ddr400 speeds with the divider. The htt bus is supposed to be less than or equal to 1000mhz, so at stock 5x multi and 200 htt clock = 1000, so any oc requires the htt multi to be put to 4(or 3 or 2 depending on the oc).

I would imagine memory designed for dfi would work great, but I'd guess it's $250+ a gig. The advantage to ddr 5000 is that you don't need a memory divider until you get past about 312htt, which would be on a 3000+ 9 x 312 = 2808mhz which is a huge oc, that probably won't happen with all but the luckiest of cpus. Plus, if you don't use a divider(as with pc5000, etc), your memory bandwidth increases as your cpu speed increases, where a divider usually tends to be either underclocking the memory a bit, or being right around stock.

I'd look at the dfi street forums and see what they're using for ram in the board, and find what's compatible.
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10929

thx for that site vnf4ultra, this ram has gotta be incredible as long as i get a processor that can actually allow the ram to go that fast

Get a venice or san diego core cpu, they are newer and tend to oc better. Some go as high as 2.8ghz+(1ghz oc), but ymmv.

Thanks for the schoolin' folks! The more I read about that X2 the more I'm thinking about turning in my Intel fan boy T-shirt and jumpin' ship. I need to start doin my homework and saving my pennies.<g>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back