Ram Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've slowly been learning more about computers and have taken more of an intrest in Ram lately. I have an ASUS P4s800D-X Motherboard and it says it takes PC3200 DDR400. So I put in the PC3200 from my old board into them new board, all three sticks are simpletech. I downloaded a program CPU-Z in order to learn more about my system and it says the frequency of my memory is 200.1 MHz. Should this be more like 400MHz or is that not how it works. Could it just be that my BIOS is set to auto detect and this is what it goes with? Can i change it/if I change it will it screw up my computer? The next thing it says is FSB:DRAM 1:1, I dont know much about timing if anything CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks, RAS# to CAS# delay 4 clocks, RAS# Precharge 4 clocks, Cycle Time (Tras) 8 clocks.
Is this good and not worth changing? I am using my computer more and more for gaming but far from any PRO gaming. I have a P4 3.00 GHz CPU. Anywhere good I should go to learn more about this stuff? Thanks

the 1:1 ration is the best setting you can have, also for example. I have ddr2 800, in cpuz it says 400, that's perfectly normal. So is yours, dont fret, you've done well.

My CPU says rated FSB 800MHz BUS speed 200 what exactly does that mean? Im only running at 1/4 my possible FSB? I dont mean to be a pain Im just trying to figure it all out. what it means etc. Thanks!

I am no expert but this is what I think. Bus speed is the external clock speed of the CPU, which normally matches the max speed of the Motherboard. Since this is the max speed of the motherboard and it is slow, the CPU has a clock multiplier to give you your maximum internal clock speed which is in your case 3.0Ghz. So since your BUS speed is 200Mhz and your internal CPU speed is 3000Mhz then the CPU has a multiplier of 15x.

The FSB (Front Side Bus) is the link between your CPU, your Memory Controller, and your RAM. So if your Bus is 200Mhz and your FSB is 800Mhz then it means your FSB is quad pumped (200x4). The computer isnt running at 1/4 of its potential.

FYI there is also a BSB (Back Side Bus) which connects your Processor to the built in L2 Cache.

Shaw is completely right about cpu clocking, but If you're looking at the tab for memory then its what I stated, you can look in the guides on the site, for an in depth description of how ram works completely. Dont let CMH find this thread he might yell at you, lol

Shaw23 said:
I am no expert but this is what I think. Bus speed is the external clock speed of the CPU, which normally matches the max speed of the Motherboard. Since this is the max speed of the motherboard and it is slow, the CPU has a clock multiplier to give you your maximum internal clock speed which is in your case 3.0Ghz. So since your BUS speed is 200Mhz and your internal CPU speed is 3000Mhz then the CPU has a multiplier of 15x./QUOTE]

Ok so then its a motherboard limitation? Im sorry, Im trying to figure it out. My motherboard has an 800MHz FSB at least thats the way I read it.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=45&l4=0&model=407&modelmenu=1

Im not trying to overclock I just want my system to run at its full potential. If its already there great and thanks for the info. I tried looking for guides about memory on here but didnt find it. I found a link to I believe it was a Kingston page that talked about Dual Channel Memory and read that. It didnt really answer what I was looking for. I thought maybe it was reading that way because I had three sticks and it put it into single channel mode. I removed on stick and it still said 200 MHz.

Im not trying to find an easy answer so hopefully no one thinks Im just lazy and yells at me LOL. If someone has an easy answer great, if not oh well and hopefully you guys can point me to a good place to learn. I appreciate your help and patience!

Wow...

Anyway, I'll actually answer your questions now.

The RAM we use is DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. It means it transfers data on both ends of the clock signal, effectively doubling the physical clock speed (thus the name).

Your 200MHz is indeed correct. Multiply that by two (200MHz x 2 = 400MHz) and you get the advertised clock speed. All DDR memory is like that. DDR RAM that says it runs at 400MHz is actually 200MHz that utilizes DDR technology to double its clock speed.

The "Dual-Channel" RAM that you read about is simply two identical sticks of RAM installed in a dual-channel configuration (and only if the motherboard supports it). It is the equivalent of having two lanes on a busy freeway as opposed to having just one. It is just something else that increases speed by 15%-20%, and has nothing to do with what you're asking.

FSB is the highway of data within your computer. It travels through your motherboard, and essentially all your components. According to Intel's terminology, all Intel CPU's are "quad-pumped", which means the effective FSB speed used by their processors are four-times that of the actual speed. That means a CPU that runs on a 800MHz FSB realistically is only set to 200MHz. Make sense?

You don't have to worry at all. None of your components are running under-clocked. You are getting what you paid for.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

ok that makes sense thanks for your help. If i came across like a jerk in that post I wasnt trying to at all. Just trying to learn, gotta start somewhere! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back