TechSpot

Ram issue for a Dell Optiplex

By cableman
Oct 29, 2009
  1. I have a Dell Optiplex on the way from e-bay and I would like to go ahead and order some more ram so they get here about the same time but I am having a hard time finding out what ram chip to get for that model.

I normally don't have a problem looking up the correct ram but I am getting suggestions for PC-2-5300 and PC-2-6400 as well as some others. I know that it uses DDR2 but the rest is confusing me. I understand the chip speed such as 667mhz or 800mhz but the rest I am unfamiliar with.

Could someone please tell me what type of ram chip I need to get? I am going to get 1mb sticks so I don't care if they are exactly the same as what comes with it because it only comes with 215mb of ram so if I get one with a faster speed then it won't matter cause 215 mb is nothing for ram. Please help me with what ram chip to put in this unit if anyone can and thanks.

2. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 166

I could help you out with that. But first, I would need the exact model of the computer.

E.g. Dell Optiplex 360

3. cableman

cableman TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 175

model

I am sorry. I knew you would need the model, I just forgot. It is a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a pentium 3.4ghz processor.

4. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TS Enthusiast Posts: 239   +11

PC-2-5300 or 6400 is just another format of saying that same thing.

PC is the replacement for DDR, the 2 is obvious, and as for the number, it's just the megahertz multipled by 8.

667x8 = 5300
    800x8 = 6400
    1066x8= 8500

That's where the numbers come from.

As for the RAM type, a google search for your system tells me that it actually supports DDR2 400mhz, not 667 or 800. You'd be looking for PC-2-3200.

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

6. IvanAwfulitch

One more question cableman. Is the computer you ordered a small desktop tower or a mini tower? It might make a difference in terms of what is supported unless the GX280 has universal memory specs across all its types.

7. cableman

mini or tower

Well........the picture and description showed a full size tower but when I try to look up specs or info on a Dell Optiplex GX280 I see pictures of the mine size and I always get conflicting information.

8. IvanAwfulitch

Well, it appears not to make a difference. After some more research, according to various other websites, it support 400mhz and 533mhz. So I would obviously go with the faster alternative.

Get yourself some PC2 4200.

9. cableman

thanks

Thanks to all I believe that we have it figured out. I see by the dell manual that has the specs for all the different size GX280 that they all will support 400 or 533 mhz ram chips so I will go with the `faster. Thanks for all the help guys. I hat to ask another question but I wonder if this model has the hyper threading cpu?

10. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.