Ram killed my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I'm an *****.
I just bought a set of corsair ddr2 800, I have a 939 motherboard. I did not realize that I bought ram that was too fast until I turned my computer on, my monitor showed nothing, and the smell of burning electronics started coming from my newly dead computer. I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do for the m/b. when I put the old ram back in it gives me a blank screen a flashing light and turns the fans. I'm wondering if I could have damaged the new ram and or processor in my brain fart. any help would rock and be much appreciated.

my board is a chaintech vnf4 ultra

Hello, tranceponderer, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, putting in RAM that is to fast for your motherboard shouldn't cause this, it sounds to me like the PSU fried.

Try this tutorial: Suspect a Dead PSU? How to be sure

You have killed it - you've used DDR2 in a DDR Motherboard.

How you got it in is a mystery - the slots are in different places.

Time for a new board. Hopefully it hasn't taken the CPU out as well, but I'd imagine the RAM is DOA too.

Thanks for the welcome, and the replys.

I'm pretty sure the psu is not the problem. When I hit the power button everything turns on , case fan cpu fan hd's. the power light blinks instead of being solid and my monitor stays black as night. The smell is what really confuses me, I couldent track down where it came from, and it did not reappear when I put the old ram back in place.

How did I do that ? It was a little stiff but the clips closed. Is there anyway to check the ram/ processor if they are working without dangering another computer?

Socket 939 are DDR (or DDR1 if you want to be pedantic)

DDR2 is a different animal - more contacts, notch in different place, different Voltage...

ddr = 2.5v ddr2 = 1.8v

Try the PSU tutorial anyway, I have seen cases like this before where people have replaced the whole pc and it turns out it was the power supply. If the smell doesn't come back when you put your old ram in then it could be that the new ones got completely fried, but it would still be worth checking the PSU.

tranceponderer said:
Is there anyway to check the ram/ processor if they are working without dangering another computer?

I expect not. If any components are seriously damaged then putting them in another pc could damage that one too.

Thanks for the help. I'll try out the psu test tonight. I guess I can hope that will be it. However it may just be a sign telling me to upgrade my system. so, not entirely bad. just entirely stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back