RAM queries and issues, requesting help

Memory type: DDr2
DRAM frequency 332.5 Mhz
Channels: single
Manufacturer; PQI

for further results from CPU-Z message me as i do not have 5 posts so i cannot link

hello, im not a computer expert or a tech wiz so ill try my best to explain my situation.

i have recently bought a duel 4gb of RAM, so its 2gb x2 operating at 800Mhz each. i was wondering whether any1 had any suggestions to why it is not operating at the 800hz to which it should be doing, where it is only operating at around 330. i am using windows xp media edition if it helps. i have seen a drastic decrease in performance with application concerning graphics, games, media, video etc where i am suffering from unusal low frame rates (fps)

i have been told that i may have to upgrade my graphics card as it is quite old, also perhaps my processor. however i believe that the problem lies with my ram settings etc. any thoughts?

also isnt my ram connection supposed to be duel support? could that be the reason to why my system is only picking up 2.5gb of ram and not the full 4? do i need to enable a settting for duel channel memory as according to crucial.com my computer does support dual channel memory

ty in advance.

like Mark56 said. Check to make sure your motherboard can support DDR2 800 RAM. If it is saying roughly 333mhz in CPU Z, then that means that your memory is running at 667mhz as the clock frequency of DDR ram is whats called "double pumped". Maybe 667Mhz DDR2 is the maximum your motherboard can support.

Also, if you are running Windows XP 32bit, that would explain why it is only showing 2.5gb as 32bit versions of windows usually only support around 2.5 to 3.5GB. For anything higher, you will need a 64bit operating system. 64bit versions of Windows XP were discontinued a long time ago and are now no longer supported by microsoft. If you want the computer to recognize all 4gb, you will need to buy a copy of Windows 7 64bit and install that. If you do not know how to install windows, get someone to help you. Note that you cannot use the "upgrade" option when going from windows xp to windows 7, so you will need to do a clean install, so back up your data first. If you choose to do that that is.

That should fix the issue of not reading all the ram, but it wont make it run at 800mhz. That is a hardware issue rather then a software issue.

Back