RAM Speed Differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herr5407

Hi

I'm a bit foggy on RAM specs and I got a quick question that most will most likely laugh at.

What's difference between 533 MHz and PC5300?

The RAM is both DDR2/240-pin. The 533 MHz is $114.99 for 512MB when the PC5300 is $99 for 1GB.

Is there any difference between the two listed speeds?

There has to be. That price gap in enormous

PC4200 = 533Mhz
PC5400 = 667Mhz

Never seen PC5300

From the prices you listed it looks like youre getting ripped off
tigerdirect.com has 1GB 533 Mhz for $39.99

Yeah it's off a big retail chains website. I would never buy it from there due to the fact its horrible overpriced.

It does however, have this listed:

Azenram 1GB DDR2 PC5300 240-Pin Memory

Anyone know how to visually distinguish memory types (more specifically pin count) if there is no sticker on the RAM?

Is there a huge difference visually between 200 and 240 pin memory? Are these units interchangeable?

Chooseing memory type

Memory choice.You have to know what size and type your motherboard
accepts.Buy the best you can afford.
I don't think you have done this check.
You don't just buy memory.You buy what Mommy Board accepts.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

I've just had troubles lately with friends that want more RAM installed. I crack the case and there is no sticker on the RAM inside.

So I do some research, which usually bring me up with absolutely nothing on what the MB will accept for pin count. I can always find speed/type. But never pins.

Is there is a way to decipher between 200 and 240 pin RAM visually?

For some reason I know plenty about computers in the exception of RAM. I just haven't kept up to the new specs or speeds.

240 ram will have a divider about 6/10 of the way down the prungs. one section is larger than the other. And usually 240pin boards have to put the ram dims vertically because they are so long.

gguerra said:
PC4200 = 533Mhz
PC5400 = 667Mhz

Never seen PC5300

From the prices you listed it looks like youre getting ripped off
tigerdirect.com has 1GB 533 Mhz for $39.99
It's 667mhz
see my signature

????

Lets try again,
You need a motherboard manual that tells you a list of allowed RAM.
If you don't have one go to the website and get the pdf version.
If you can;t do that,take it to a computer store,or remove a stick and take it.
But you need a manual for all the details and choices....
Your opening ? tells me nothing about your computer motherboard,
Don't make this a guessing game post.:confused:

download cpu-z, and run it. Click on the memory tab and tell us what it says. That will give us an idea about what will be compatable. If it says ddr2 then it is 240 pin, if ddr then 184 pin.

zipperman said:
Don't make this a guessing game post.:confused:

Sorry man I've been super busy with work/home projects lately haven't had time to check the post. Didn't mean to leave you hanging there.

I'm not exactly looking for specific hardware specs. I just require general information. I thought that there was 2 different pin counts for DDR2, and DDR. Is this true or is it just straight DDR2 = 240 pin and DDR = 184 pin. (excluding SO-DIMM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back