Ram timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have recently installed a pair of ddr2 800 cl 4-4-4-15 sticks. The timing through the CPU-Z software shows that its cl 5-5-5-15. I am not able to manually change the timing through the BIOS. Is there any other way to change the timing to the right configuration?

Thanks

well, first off 5-5-5-15 is the right configuration, because that is what the RAM stick's SPD has for default timings. the RAM stick(s) may be guaranteed to run at 4-4-4-15, but that is not it's default timing.

second, if you can't change it in your BIOS then chances are you can't change it at all. there may be software programs available that can change it, but i don't know of any (I have never looked for any either ;)).

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I doubt you would even notice an everyday difference between 4-4-4-15 and 5-5-5-15 anyways.

cheers :wave:

Hi,
So what you are saying is that, if the specs of the ram states that the timing is 4-4-4-15, its not really the default for that ram? So, that means that all ram sticks have a default of 5-5-5-15? Can you please tell me where you got the default timing of 5-5-5-15? If the manufacturer site says that the timing is 4-4-4-15, is that not the default timing?

Thanks again

Default for all 800mhz RAM is 5-5-5-15 (I think).

However, you bought the 4-4-4-15 timings, which means the RAM is guaranteed to run at 4-4-4-15. You'll have to manually set it for it to run at 4-4-4-15, and it'll be guaranteed to run.

This is as opposed to buying a 5-5-5-15 RAM, and setting it to 4-4-4-15, and finding that it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back