Ram upgrade - Can you mix pc5300 with pc6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hi Guys,

Currently have 2 x 1GB Corsair pc5300 but wanting to upgrade to 4gb as I am doing a lot of CAD rendering... Firstly, will the extra ram make a big difference? Specs are below.

PU:Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6300
Motherboard:Intel P965LTCK
Graphics Card
: Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe II
RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair pc5300
Case: Antec Sonata II
PSU: Antec Smartpower 450Watt
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250GB Sata
Dvd Burner: LG 16x Super Multi
Dvd reader/cd writer: Lg CD/DVD Rom Drive
Floppy: Panasonic Floppy Drive
Operating System: Windows XP Professional 32Bit
Monitor: 2 x Samsung Syncmaster 940N
Keyboard/mouse: Standard Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse

I saw a good deal on RAM but its pc6400 (details below) Will this go ok with PC5300? Or do i need to get pc5300 to match?

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB (2x XMS2 1GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 5-5-5-18

Thanks,

Korrupt

Theoretically it should work, although at the lower of the 2 speeds.

What are the RAM timings of your previous modules? It's never really recommended to mix modules but since you're sticking to the same manufacturer (and hopefully the same timings), it should be OK.

I'm not sure how I would find out the timings of the original RAM...

Also, do you think the extra 2gb would make a noticeable difference?

Thanks for your reply!

Korrupt

Hi korrupt,
a vast majority of the time that that mix will work. keep in mind that with a 32 bit OS, the system will only let you have between 2.75gb and 3.25gb of working memory, the rest is taken up and re-routed by memory mapping reservations. When running a program like CAD the more RAM the better even if you will not be able to realize the full 4gb as 'working memory' . as far as finding the timings of your existing memory, you can use this program to see them. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back