Ram Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for posting this, i just found the info i needed, and again sorry for the post. google is my new best friend

And the answer is: you bet you'll void the warranty! You'll also void the warranty if you significantly over-clock, or over-volt yer memory.

And the spreader serves no useful purpose anyway.
But you have to have so much paperwork to get memory replaced under the "Lifetime" warranty that it isn't worth it. Only Crucial, Infineon, and Kingston honor their warranties easily... Though TigerDirect and Directron are pretty good.

well the Heat Spreader that comes with the ram doesn't look good. i was going to replace it with a copper one i have, copper looks alot better that white painted aluminum

Much better than one that looks crap, and does nothing.

At least the one that looks good still serves a purpose: looking good :D

Generally with electronics, if you tamper the item with removal or addition of items, use the item out of specs then the warranty is void. Overclocking will void all system warranties.

Lol, thats true.

But what if they were selling the product to run above-spec to start with? Say, DDR2 which runs at 1200mhz... JEDEC only goes up to 800mhz....

doesn't matter - NO company will sell a part and warranty it to be run out of specs. Some companies make high end ram to market directly to overclockers, but read the fine print. Overclocking WILL void the ram. This is because overclocking is an inexact process and varies greatly from board to board, not to mention it taxes the parts beyond their rated specs. Esentially you're buying a beefier RAM stick that is designed to last longer, but it is not designed to be ran out of tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back