Rambus, Kingston collaborate on new memory technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apart from its rampant lawsuits, it's rare to catch Rambus' name in the news these days. Even more weird, is that the company's announcement today has little to do with its proprietary XDR DRAM. Instead, Rambus has teamed up with Kingston to develop "threaded memory module technology," which boosts the bandwidth of conventional DDR3 SDRAM.

The technology is implemented in industry-standard DDR3 devices, and utilizes conventional module infrastructure. It enables power savings in systems by partitioning modules into multiple independent channels that share a common command/address port.

Threaded modules support 64-byte (512-bit) memory transfers at full bus utilization, which results in efficiency gains of up to 50% compared to regular DDR3 modules. Additionally, threaded modules are activated half as often, resulting in 20% less power consumption.

The companies are expected to show off the new technology in a "static demonstration" at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco this week.

Permalink to story.

I thought RAMBUS was closed down permanently by the courts... and their engineers were banned from the business.
In their day, they were among the best.
So this is good news. I guess. Don't know why Kingston needed the, so I assume Rambus needed Kingston.

When did RAMBUS get closed down by the courts? I know it was accused of using undisclosed patents to extort money from SDRAM makers (a 2001 review article at
http://www.kickassgear.com/Articles/rambus_in_court.htm
calls that "submarine tactics"). And the FTC wanted to sue them under the Sherman Antitrust Act but the Supreme Court shut that down in February of this year (http://www.rambus.com/us/news/press_releases/2009/090223.html) - I never heard about any court-ordered closures.

i dont think its a good time to introduce new memory tech....they shudve done it before intel introduced i7 and i5 architecture and the new sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back