Rambus, Kingston collaborate on new memory technology

By Matthew
Sep 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apart from its rampant lawsuits, it's rare to catch Rambus' name in the news these days. Even more weird, is that the company's announcement today has little to do with its proprietary XDR DRAM. Instead, Rambus has teamed up with Kingston to develop "threaded memory module technology," which boosts the bandwidth of conventional DDR3 SDRAM.

Read the whole story
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

I thought RAMBUS was closed down permanently by the courts... and their engineers were banned from the business.
    In their day, they were among the best.
    So this is good news. I guess. Don't know why Kingston needed the, so I assume Rambus needed Kingston.
  3. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

When did RAMBUS get closed down by the courts? I know it was accused of using undisclosed patents to extort money from SDRAM makers (a 2001 review article at
    http://www.kickassgear.com/Articles/rambus_in_court.htm
    calls that "submarine tactics"). And the FTC wanted to sue them under the Sherman Antitrust Act but the Supreme Court shut that down in February of this year (http://www.rambus.com/us/news/press_releases/2009/090223.html) - I never heard about any court-ordered closures.
  4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 880   +52

yet another good reason I don't buy kingston memory anymore.
  5. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 540

i dont think its a good time to introduce new memory tech....they shudve done it before intel introduced i7 and i5 architecture and the new sockets
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.