Random BSOD after fresh install of XP - expert help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

inzanian

Hi.

So, around 2 years ago, I bought a completely new gaming pc. From the very beginning I started experiencing random blue screens of death. They pop every now and then. Could be within 10 min I turned my computer on, or within 2 hours. Completely random
They refere to many different things, for example:

nv4_disp.dll - Tried all kind of graphic drivers, still it kept popping up
win32.sys
tcpip.sys
irql_not_less_or_equal
and many others.

Please note, that even if I swipped the harddrive clean, and installed a fresh XP, it still kept popping up.

I have run memtest86, to check that my ram's were fine, which they were. So I can rule that out.

My specs:

Point of view Black diamond 650 watts PSU
Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz
2 x Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
2048 mb random kingston ram
Windows XP Professional - Service pack 2

I am getting more and more frustrated every day, and this problem is really starting to get on my nerves.

So, anyone have any tips or solutions, I will love you forever!

If you need any other kind of information, please let me know

Regards,
Michael

hi inzanian

Can you please post a few minidumps. You can zip them and post just one zip file.

You've been experiencing BSODs for 2 years??? Man, that must suck lol. Why are you still running XP service pack 2? Upgrade to service pack 3 from the Microsoft website. If you've overclocked anything, return it to it's norm. Update your BIOS drivers, and any other device drivers as well. Take out one of the video cards and run the system on just the other one.

Spyder_1386 :)

I have attached 5 dumps in my post.
Yup, two years, and indeed it sucks :) Nothing has been overclocked. I will try updating to service pack 3 and see if that might help.
How do you update your bios drivers? I have always been told that it wasn't something I should do myself.

It might be worth mentioning the following:

Sometimes, after a reboot, I never get a BSOD. If I dont turn my computer off, but just put it in standby, I wont get any BSOD's. This can carry on for days or even weeks, until I am forced to reboot for some reason(drivers installed, etc). Then I get back to scratch, and start with bsods again. Then I can repeat the above and only put it in standby.

I have run memtest86, to check that my ram's were fine, which they were. So I can rule that out

Your dumps indicate that it could still well be a faulty RAM issue. Please re-run Memtest on each stick of RAM individually - the rule is a minimum of 7 passes...

You've got Kernel_mode errors, Driver_IRQL errors, PAGE_FAULT errors and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors. I do believe that your drivers are causing major problems. What we need to do is run Driver verifier on your system to see which drivers are causing your problem.

Press Start > Run > type Verifier ... On the "Select a Task Page" leave the default "Create Standard Settings" as they are ... on the next page choose "Select Driver name from a list" ... now select the driver files in the check boxes. We want to test your video drivers first so select all your Nvidia drivers (as these were the most apparent in your dumps). Click Finish and reboot your machine. If the drivers selected are causing a problem, Windows will BSOD again, if not, your system will boot up just fine (in which case you need to try another set of drivers) .... To turn off the verifier type ... verifier /reset ... in Start > Run ... It will keep running until you turn it off.

If the system BSODs, you'll know which set of drivers are causing a problem, in which case they need to be updated. Let us know which sets you try and when exactly your BSODs occur.

Sorry Inzanian .... I forgot to mention that you should turn off AUTOMATIC RESTART under Control Panel > System > Properties > Start up and recovery Settings ....

If you do get a BSOD, you will probably need to enter into Safe Mode to type "verifier /reset" in the Run command box. The Safe Mode option will be present after the BSOD occurs - if not, press F8 continuously on reboot to be given the option.

First off, thanks for your assistance spyder, really appreciate it :)

I have tested all my drivers, it rebooted without a problem,

I'll try and let it run for 7 passes, didnt let it do more than 4 when i tested. Yay for impatience :)

I will report back when I have done the test

Ok :) .... Please make sure you test your RAM stick INDIVIDUALLY. Also, please ensure that you have turned off the Verifier by typing Verifier / reset in the run command box.

Right, a little update.

I ran 8 pass' on each ram stick, didn't find any errors.

Got any other suggestions?

Have you updated your video drivers, sound drivers, wifi drivers, ethernet etc? Tried using just one of your graphics cards at a time? I must admit, I'm starting to run out of things to do .... will ask Route44 to check out your dumps and see if he's got any ideas. I was really expecting a BSOD to occur on the Verifier .... I was quite amazed to see that it booted up just fine. Try what I've suggested here and then wait for Route44's reply if it isn't sorted out by then.

I read your minidumps and here is what they say:

0x8E which are almost always caused by hardware issues and are a good indicator of faulty RAM. It specifically cited memory corruption.

0xD1 which are usually caused by faulty device drivers but can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile. It specifically cited memory corruption.

0xA which can be caused by either hardware issues or faulty drivers attempting to access IRQ Levels it shoudn't. It specifically cited memory corruption.

0x4E which are very strong indicators of corrupted memory. It specifically cited memory corruption.

0x50 meaning requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

It cited the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll.

* You state in the listing of your system specs "random Kingston RAM." Please explain.

I have tried running only one graphic card, tried both card. BSOD popped up on both of them.

My minidumps seem to refer alot to my memory.

My sticks are: KVR800D2N5/1G, got two of those in dimm 1 and dimm 3, tried in dimm 2 and dimm 4 aswell, still bsod.

I have tried all the newest graphic drivers, all the oldest, still bsod.
I tried different versions of nforce drivers, still bsod.

Did you at any time make sure all your old video card drivers were completley removed by using such tools as Driver Cleaner Pro (free version) before installing the new ones?

Again, when you say your Kingston memory is "random" what does random mean?

I have used Driver Cleaner Professional to remove all my old drivers.

By random, I just meant that I didnt know which set of kingston ram they were, I just knew they were kingston. After having opened my computer and switched them around, I saw the name on the sticks.

But do you know why, as i wrote above, it sometimes ran stable, for days and weeks, as long as I didn't completely turned it off? If I had faulty RAM or driver issues, wouldn't it still keep popping up?

Hmmm, let's take this a different route. Do you know how to access your BIOS? I am wondering if the motherboard has your memory set at the wrong voltage.

Also, did Abit specify certain RAM that would be acceptable to this board, i.e., manufacturers? The standard is DDR2 800.

Hello Iznanian and Rte44 and Spyder - Found the conversation interesting... if I may add a little...

RE: Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI motherboard ... From Website -
Factory Overclocked - Supercharged System Bus
Your board runs faster than its peers – with absolutely no overclocking skills needed. Instead, a supercharged, factory overclocked system bus provides the hidden powers you need to Obliterate the Competition and take home the win!

And
# 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 32GB
# Supports Dual channel DDR2 800/667/533 Un-buffered Non-ECC memory

the Kingston is - 1GB (1024MB) DDR2-800 CL5 SDRAM and requires +1.8V.

And (again from website)
To make optimal use of the Dual Channel capability, a pair of identical memory modules must be placed in matching DIMM slots. These DIMM slots are usually color coded for easier installation.

From the Motherboard's Owner's Handbook
To reach the performance of Dual Channel DDR2, the following rules must be obeyed:
• For a 2-DIMM dual-channel installation: Populate DIMM modules of the same type and size on slots [DIMM1]+[DIMM3], or slots [DIMM2]+[DIMM4]. Usually there is no hardware or BIOS setup required after adding or removing memory modules, but you will have to clear the CMOS memory first if any memory module related problem occurs.

If you don't have it, the handbook is available as a pdf zipped D/L from Abit. Or I could attach it if desired. I found nothing re: recommended Memory Mfg. According to the same manual, there is NOT a manual bios setting for DDR voltage.
All Voltages, Fans Speed and Thermal Monitoring
These unchangeable items list the current status of the CPU and environment temperatures, fan speeds, and system power voltage.

Iznanian should check it, but theoretically "It is automatically set at 1.8v". If / Since this is properly set... then...
Just a quick perusal... wondering about automatic shut downs due to Temp? Is this a possibility with these symptoms?
Or would the dumps have different information?

Great stuff. Heat certainly can shut a system down quick. I would love to know if his memory is set at 1.8v.

I'll try those things when I get back from work. Once again, really appreciate you guys taking your time helping me.

First off, I run speedfan, and according to that, the temp's are good.

I checked the bios, and the ddr voltage was set at 1.85V

Does your BIOS recognize your memory as 800 or 667 or 533?

Also, for diagnostic sake, can you ease down the voltage from 1.85 to 1.8?

I am not sure I looked the right place, but are you referrering to this:

Estimated DDR2 data rate: 800

I lowered the voltage to 1.80

Yes, that is what I was asking for. So your BIOS recognizes your memory at 800 which is good. Now we bneed to see if lowering to 1.8v brings stability. Let us know.

Still no BSOD, looking very good so far :)

Excellent! It seems that the adjustment from 1.85V to 1.8V on your RAM did the trick. It would explain why so many of your minidumps kept pointing to memory as your issue.

If you get any more BSODs let us know.

Around one week without any bsod, I think we can call this solved :)
Thanks a million guys for helping me out, that really put some weight of my shoulders :)
Take care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back