Random BSOD and program dumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going through forum after forum for almost a week now and i can't seem to figure this one out. I do know that as far as my comfort level goes i'm now starting to get into suggestions to fix my problem that take me past my level of knowledge in how computers work so i'm trying to score some expert advice before i go any further.

anyways here's the scoop

i have gotten dumped out of several programs and droped into BSOD, the most common one is World of warcraft, but it has also occured in spore. Also it has occured once when installing feelancer, (about 72% done, second install attempt was successful) and a couple of times with firefox. the only other program it has happened with is VLC.

also these crashes have corrupted wow into unplayable and had to reinstall it twice. and back on the first raptor drive(see below) it did the same thing to C&C 3 (can you tell it's a gamming rig :) ) Also on the origional raptor it actually crashed frequently enough to corrupt windows and force a complete reinstall on it's own.

It won't always crash the program then BSOD, sometimes the system continues as normal. And as near as i can recall everytime it has BSOD it did take me to the "windows has encountered an error, would you like to send microsoft a report option" first. usually the BSOD happens right after i click send or don't send. doesn't seem to have a preference there. and on my crashes from programs i put it close to 75% of the time it will BSOD

I ran memtest overnight, it did 14 passes 0 errors, after which when i restarted i got 3 BSOD in a row, all of the system service exception at 0x3b varity. All of these were during boot, got to desktop up for about 3 seconds the crash. no info given on what caused it.

My only other BSOD i can find from my stack of notes is Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area. 0x50. it also mentioned ntfs.sys they may have been others but the only one i can remeber off hand had something to do with tcpip...

The Rig:
MSI k9a2 platinum am2+ 790fx
AMD phenom 9500 agena
Crucial ballistix DDR2 1066 1gb x2(paired)
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive (boot)
Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (data)
WD 250gig IDE HD (data)
MSI NX8800GT 512M OC DDR3 256 bit
Rosewill RX850-S-B 850W ATX12V
Os is windows xp 64 with all current updates installed.
Other software doesn't seem to be significant as problem seems to happen on a clean install of windows, and a install several days down after all my applications are back.

Now that raptor has been RMA'd once. I pulled it out, slapped the IDE drive in for my boot and the system ran fine, after i got the raptor back from western digital my problems came back. From everything i've read i find it hard to believe i got 2 "identicaly" faulty rapters from WD. These drives have a pretty solid rep from what i'm reading

also, not sure on signifigance, but lsass did initiate a sytem shutdown once, through nt authority, Thought it was the sasser virus, but both panda online and my resident copy of avg came up clean, and it hasn't happened again. this happend 3 days ago.

I know it's a long post but honestly i've done a lot of looking to figure this one out. I appreciate anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction here to get this working.

I zipped my 7 dumps up since the last format and reinstall and if anything further from me is need please feel free to ask, i'll be happy to provide it.

P.S. i just went through and dusted the system out completely when i reinstalled my Replacement raptor. about 2 weeks ago or so. checked my cables, made sure everything that can is on it's on power etc. etc.

the sage continues

And another one, this one flagged as a BSOD without an error report on a crash in wow. along with this one i had a repeating noise till i shut it completely down. the noise sounded like something stuck in my sound buffer.

occured in dxg.sys 0x05

minidump included for your viewing pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back