Random BSOD appearing at random time while playing games

tehMarkerer

I'm dealing with this issue almost a month now and I still didn't figure out how to get rid of it .. It's just so annoying when you are playing for example WoW and you are about to win and it freezes and you have restart it and lose every progress you have made :( ... It started appearing more frequently when I cleaned my CPU from dust and applied a new thermal paste ... After that my CPU is running better performance and lower temperature then before but the BSOD's are appearing more frequently then before ... I updated almost every driver as possible in my PC and I hardly doubt that a virus is in my PC when I just month ago formated my HDD ... It happens really random when I play almost every game and my Hardware is cool and in a good shape so hardware shoudn't be the problem ... I also checked if the Voltage of my Processor is good and it is ... I really don't know what should I do :( And I don't even know if it's worth reinstalling and format my HDD because I don't want to lose my files when I don't havy any chance to back up them :(

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I don't know why but after so many BSOD's that I got I found only 2 dumps there oh well here they are

Attachments

• dump.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Your errors are 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

I recently came across this helpful link concerning this error code. Read the "Generic Troubleshooting" steps and try them out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

That's pretty inaccurate but I will try to check every piece of my hardware in my PC and try to clean it up a little bit I didn't clean PSU for a long time maybe that's the cause but I hardly doubt about it ... And did someone here had the same issue ? If yes tell me how did you sort it out maybe it would be helpfull and of course I will try that link you gaved me looks promising :) I will try some things and tell if of those things helped

Okay so I tried to do every step in that link you gaved me except for reinstall Operating System and nothing worked ... Is there any other way how to solve this ? I even cleaned my PSU now from dust and everything in my PC is clean and in good condition with good temperatures ... I'm getting so flustrated at this :(

Sorry for double post

EDIT: I found at GPU-Z that my Voltage seems to be higher then it suppoused to be on AMD websites of products my processor AMD phenom X3 8450 2.1ghz Should have 1.05-1.25V and CPU-Z shows me 1.36V on Idle ... Should I decrease the voltage ? It seems I should have lower than this

Yes, by all means lower that voltage. You'd be suprised how even an incremental change of voltage can clear things up. Set it to AMD's parameters.

I did changed the voltage but no luck .. I think I know what's the problem ... I donwloaded a program called speedfan and it shows me the real temperature of my CPU and while idle the temperature is 48-46° Celzius which seems to be pretty high and while playing games it runs up to 50-53° Celzius or even more an icon of fire shows while showing the temperature even in BIOS it's showing me that much ... I cleaned up my heatsink very well no sign of dust and applied thermal compound Arctic Silver on my Chip but I don't know what is the best way to apply the compound I tried several ways but can't figure out which one is the best because all of those options doesn't seems to be working ... I don't know what should I do to keep my CPU cooler ... By the way month ago I was cleaning my CPU from dust for the first time after 2 and half year because I noticed that my CPU was running at high temps and low frequency so I cleaned it up and my permoformance increased and the temps are little lower then were before because my frequency wen't back to stock but after this clean up the Blue Screens started to appear and now I did saw the temps are high according to BIOS and speedfan ... So please if you know what should I do to have it cooler I would very happy and not have to worry anymore of those crashes :(

i used to have a problem with this the best way to apply TIM is just a spot of it about the size of a grain or 2 of rice in the center of the chip i expect your putting to much compound on the chip

I tried to put less thermal compound on it but didn't saw difference at all not even close but I will try even less as you say size of a rice because I rub the compound in the middle of the chip ... Still I think maybe my processor is broken somehow ? Or something related to it or I don't know I'm getting so sad dealing with this :(

I did changed the voltage but no luck .. I think I know what's the problem ... I donwloaded a program called speedfan and it shows me the real temperature of my CPU and while idle the temperature is 48-46° Celzius which seems to be pretty high and while playing games it runs up to 50-53° Celzius or even more an icon of fire shows while showing the temperature even in BIOS it's showing me that much ... I cleaned up my heatsink very well no sign of dust and applied thermal compound Arctic Silver on my Chip but I don't know what is the best way to apply the compound I tried several ways but can't figure out which one is the best because all of those options doesn't seems to be working ... I don't know what should I do to keep my CPU cooler ... By the way month ago I was cleaning my CPU from dust for the first time after 2 and half year because I noticed that my CPU was running at high temps and low frequency so I cleaned it up and my permoformance increased and the temps are little lower then were before because my frequency wen't back to stock but after this clean up the Blue Screens started to appear and now I did saw the temps are high according to BIOS and speedfan ... So please if you know what should I do to have it cooler I would very happy and not have to worry anymore of those crashes :(

For applying thermal paste properly, please look at this video tutorial. Temps of 50c-60c are well within tolerance levels of the cpu, so I would not concern myself unless you start seeing temps of 70c+. Temp doesn't seem to be the issue in your case.

Try running Memtest86+ to test for memory errors.

For applying thermal paste properly, please look at this video tutorial. Temps of 50c-60c are well within tolerance levels of the cpu, so I would not concern myself unless you start seeing temps of 70c+. Temp doesn't seem to be the issue in your case.

Try running Memtest86+ to test for memory errors.

Well I don't know which temperatures are safe for my CPU but when I see 50°C or more the flame icon shows and I'm starting to worry and the sound of processor with fan is starting to make a really big noise for fan like that around 3400 RPM ... About that Memtest86 I have to mount that .iso file with Deamon and burn it on CD or what ? Because I never did with that thing

Burn it to a cd. It doesn't seem to like Daemon Tools.

The flame icon in speedfan is noticed when the temperatures exceed the default temp setting for the program. You can adjust these temps within speedfan to increase the tolerance. Are you using the stock heatsink and fan for the processor, or do you have an aftermarket heatsink? The stock heatsinks are not very efficient, and a good aftermarket model can drastically reduce the temperature and fan noise, if purchasing one is an option for you.

For the sake of time, I am copying and pasting instructions on how to install and run memtest86+ from here - http://www.pchelpforum.com/memory/58877-memtest86-how-download-run.html

This is the instruction set I followed when I ran memtest, and it works fine.

For running memtest86+ :

There are three types of downloads you can get, a bootable CD (.iso),USB and a bootable floppy disk. Pick one and download it. If you're experiencing troubles using the CD or Floppy versions, you may try the USB version, but i haven't tried it yet.Maybe some one else has tried the USB version and will add "How to" to this thread.

Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page and you will see listed the downloadable files listed on the left.

Test the system with all RAM sticks inserted first.
Or time consuming I know take all of them out so you have just the one plugged into the primary slot. Run the test and swap with the other sticks until all is tested individually. Don't forget to turn off and unplug your computer before removing/replacing any components.

It is suggested that you run the test for at least 7 Passes. You can run it longer or shorter if you wish but note any errors it states on the information it gives you onscreen.I recommend you run memtest for at least 2-3 hours.If you do get errors, that means that the stick you have currently is incompatible or faulty or it may only a dirty slot or contact on the module/motherboard. If you don't get any errors, put all your RAM sticks back into its slots if you removed them all but one and run the test a final time and observe any errors.

There are also menus,information and items you can change inside the program.Fiddle if you want to,but don't ask me what they do and I do not know how to rest any data in the software.I only use the basic setup,why? As I am not fully used to the program and would not want to create an issue were there proberly is not one to start with.

Memtest CD:

Download the ISO (Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO .zip) to your PC.

Extract the .zip file to a location that you know, like the Desktop or Downloads folder or next to the .zip file.

"Note" If you have WinRAR (or similar) installed, it will look like an unzippable archive with nothing inside. Do not open it with WinRAR.

Go to your favorite CD burning software, and choose to burn from an image file. Simply point to the memtest.iso file and hit the burn button.

Example: Nero>Disk Image or Saved Project>[select the memtest iso file]Ok>Next etc.But you can use the software you have already installed if it is compatable.

Insert a blank CD into the drive and let it do its magic.

Simply leave the CD in the drive and boot from CD by pressing a key then running the test.You may need to enter BIOS/Setup via relevent key on your computer and set first boot device.

How to set first boot device in BIOS/Setup:

Restart the computer and on the post screen(black screen white words) It should say "To enter setup press ?" this could be F1,F2 or Del key or another,please refer to your machines manual or manufacturers website.Once in BIOS locate boot order tab and set first boot device to either USB,CD,Floppy and save and exit.

For a more user friendly version that runs within Windows itself, try http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

I have also tried this one, though I didn't feel it was quite as thorough. It's all a matter of opinion though.

Burn it to a cd. It doesn't seem to like Daemon Tools.

The flame icon in speedfan is noticed when the temperatures exceed the default temp setting for the program. You can adjust these temps within speedfan to increase the tolerance. Are you using the stock heatsink and fan for the processor, or do you have an aftermarket heatsink? The stock heatsinks are not very efficient, and a good aftermarket model can drastically reduce the temperature and fan noise, if purchasing one is an option for you.

I'm using stock fan and heatsink I don't have extra money to buy a new fan and heatsink ...

Oh and by the way thanks for the instructions I will try it out tomorrow because Now I have to go to sleep it's pretty late out here in Slovakia ^^

Yeah thanks a lot that will go to my favorites :p I will try it tomorrow and see if some results had accoured and thanks again :)

Back