Random BSOD crashes

By GranpaChook
Dec 30, 2008
  1. Hey, I've started having some serious problems with my PC and after trying various things I'm totally stumped so any help is greatly appreciated.

Intel Pentium D 3.0ghz
    2 GB Ram (4x512 I think)
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS
    Sata 150gig HDD

Just before Christmas I got a bad virus/spyware attack which caused all sorts of problems. I cleaned it up but to make doubly sure everything was clean I decided to format and re-install windows xp. I re-installed Windows and put all the drivers back on thinking that I'd sorted everything out. After Xmas I started experiencing random crashes. There wasn't any program that caused the crash, it just seemed to be completely random. To start with it would reboot instantly and then when I got back to windows I got the standard Win XP message saying it has recovered from a serious system error etc. I did some digging around online using the error codes and there were various diagnosis. One that kept cropping up was the issue of potentially faulty RAM. I downloaded and ran Memtest for 7 passes and it found nothing wrong. I have all the right drivers from my manufacturers website and no virus/spyware problems because it's a fresh install. I turned off the auto-reboot on a crash so I could write down the error codes. The latest BSOD didn't site any particular file which I've seen before but the signature was: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804ED79F, 0xBACDBA2C, 0xBACDB728).

Another thing I should add is that the Windows I installed is not the same one that came with my PC (which is a Dell by the way). My pc didn't come with it's own windows CD so I had to use another. I'm not sure if that could cause any problems whatsoever but I though I'd put it out there in case.

I've attached some minidumps too because I'm all out.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.
  2. tuant

tuant TS Enthusiast Posts: 200

Boot from the windows XP disc and repair the installation. See if that helps.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.