Random BSOD in games, please help ! Full description + minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so, let me just say hi to all you guys on TechSpot ! I'm new here. I've seen a lot of people helping other people who got BSOD so I thought I should post my problem here, maybe someone with more experience than me will help me.

I will explain exactly what's happening and what I tried to do to resolve my problem. Recently, in the last few months, I changed almost all the major hardware in my PC. I changed from ECS L7S7A2 with a AMD Barthon 2500+, GeForce FX 5200, 512 Mb RAM, UPS noname 400W ( non-real, of course ) etc. to MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ( core Manchester ) - socket 939 -, GeForce 6600GT - then ATi Radeon X850XT Platinum and now I have a ATi Radeon X1950 Pro ( HIS ), 4 x 512 Mb RAM 400Mhz PC3200 ( Kingmax ) and a Chieftec 400W ( real ) UPS.

I don't really recall when my problems started all I know is I've tried a lot of things, here's a complete list of them :

READ THIS !!! Before I continue I must tell you an important thing : this BSOD occur only when I play games, never when using my desktop for instant messaging, listening music or watching movies or browsing.

1. First I thought my ATi Radeon X1950 Pro was overheating even with the IceQ 3 Turbo installed on it ( HIS version ), I figured that my noname UPS wasn't supplying enough power. Changed it with a Chieftec 400W, almost new. Suffice to say, that didn't solve my problem.

2. I read that quite a lot of people experienced overheating problems with their ATi Radeon X1950 Pro and after reading some minidumps I was 90% sure the video card is my problem. I tried everything :

a) Removing all drivers ( both nVidia old ones from my GeForce 6600 GT and what I had from the ATi one CD ), the best way I know : removing them all from Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs - reboot - delete them with Driver Cleaner ( twice ) - reboot - deleting any remaining regs with CC Cleaner - reboot. After that I installed the latest Omega drivers. It didn't work.

b) Changing from AGP8x to AGP4x - This actually did something. Something obvious but not a true solve for the problem. It lasted more during games, several hours more. It still BSOD'ed but less often.

c) I put a 120mm Thermaltake vent just on top of the video card, as some people said the only thing we need to do it COOL IT and it will work. Well, it did nothing for me, no difference at all.

d) The only thing I haven't tried yet is the least rumored solve - deactivating the integrated sound card on my motherboard ( AC 97 ) and installing a stand alone one, they say there's a small change that the motherboard can't take the integrated LAN + sound + an ATi Radeon X1950. I didn't tried this cause I didn't have any sound card on my hands.

Important note : Using ATiTool for monitong the GPU's temperature, in peak load ( during games ) the temperature is 71C. That's on AGP8x, I saw a difference when switching to AGP4x, peak load - 62C.

3. Just to be sure and mostly get rid of the software involvement in this, I formated the partition containg my OS. So now it's clean, no way there can be any conflict now, at least that's what I think. Still, the BSOD were there just as before.

4. Downloaded Memtest, tested my RAM twice untll ~ 250% ( quite a boring process if you ask me, and what's with the > 100% anyway ? seems kinda stupid to me... ), Memtest showed no problems with my RAM what so ever.

At this point I've almost reached the end of my mental sanity, to be honest. I still managed to have a small amount of patience and try another way, to exclude every hardware piece by piece. I'm at the 1st step now, I really want to exclude the GPU, so I pulled out the ATi Radeon X1950 Pro and installed a GeForce FX 5200. Played some games, hoped I found the problem, still had a BSOD after a bunch of hours. I'm gonna wait and see if BSOD occurs at least 2 more times, just to be sure.

My guess right now is that my problem should be either faulty RAM ( even though Memtest didn't say anything ) or faulty motherboard. To be perfectly honest my first 7 minidumps after the format are confusing the hell out of me. I really really thought I nailed it down with the video card - driver conflict.

I'm asking for your help and I really hope someone will save me by pointing the exact piece of hardware that's malfunctioning. I've attached a zip with all 7 minidumps, in .txt format to spare you the debugging. Please take a little time and read them. Thanks in advance you guys !

LE : I just added another minidump, the latest, just got it from another BSOD moments ago. It looks to me like the "KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)" error is the most common, 6/8 minidumps. I'll do some more research about this, maybe I'll nail down which faulty piece of hardware is causing the BSOD. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for your help.

Your power supply is not high powered enough, nor of high enough quality. Read up on power supplies.
Your memory is suspect, based on brand. Did you really run the MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, whichever is longer?
You have issues of quality, perhaps, for the games you are attempting to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back