Random BSOD, possibly ties to video card?

punkerex

Hello, I unfortunately am writing this from my iPhone, thank goodness, but that is because recently my computer started doing random BSOD's. The odd part is that before the BSOD happens, my screen (32" Samsung tv, actually) all of a sudden flashes what look like oldschool 8bit images of what appear to be *red snowflakes* in patterns of 3 all over the screen; something similar to this: *** *** *** ***. Then I get BSOD and comp either restarts or I have to do a manual restart.

I guess my question is has anyone come across this type of problem before and how would I resolve this? I have a geforce 8800 vid card, drivers are updated and the only time this started happening was when I was either playing and MMO like WoW or doing video heavy work like playing a Netflix movie.

Thank you all as always for any answers, responses, and your valuable time!

~CF

I think I may have to just buy a new graphics card. In the middle of attempting the instructions, same instance occured and had to reset the comp. Thank you for your speedy reply and helpful information =]

Just try to copy out the dumps then, using Safe Mode with Networking.

JK said:
Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.

I tried this but when I am able to get in safe mode I can hardly make anything out and it keeps locking me out. I will update thus next week and see if it is just that I needed a new video card or not; again thank you for all help and suggestions!

Hi, sending an update from the computer now! Ordered a new card (EVGA gtx450) and that resolved it; seems to be I just needed a new video card =)

Again, thank you for the replies and help!

~CF

Back