Random BSOD, tried to reformat like 10 times

michaelra

I've been having random BSOD on my Windows 7 x64 for a few weeks. I've tried checking my RAM one by one with memtest for 6 hours (even bought a new RAM and still got the BSOD). I reformatted and tried not to install certain drivers (audio, USB, etc) and still got the BSOD..tried prime95 and nothing

Would you mind having a look at the latest minidump file? Maybe something will come up... I have used the latest BIOS and chipset drivers from the mobo manufacturer (ASUS)

BSOD totally random.. when I'm not doing anything, when watching a movie, or sometimes after waking up from sleep and leaving it by itself for a few minutes. Sometimes my computer runs fine for days, sometimes not. This one came when my Windows 7 was in sleep mode :|

*feels like throwing the whole computer away*

Attachments

• 070511-25584-01.zip
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
The minidump file cited nothing specifically but the error code is 0xA. These are caused either by hardware or faulty drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than they are designed for resulting in system crashes.

The fact that you reformatted and are still getting issues means hardware is more of the culprit here.

Have you tried a harddrive diagnostics?

Also, if you have them, please Zip five more recent files in one Zip file and attach.

Thanks, buddy, appreciate the reply/help. Or it can also be caused by same bad driver (since it's the same hardware specs)
I had run a tool from Samsung and diagnose the harddrive where Windows is installed

I'll wait for more random BSODs and zip them all up here. The codes were always different normally.

I reformatted many times but I never had a froze or crash during the reformat/reinstall, so I suspected drivers, but can be the mobo

Okay, 5 BSODs in the zipped file... I'm sort of gearing it's a faulty motherboard and planning to buy one.. I guess you can't confirm from the minidumps? Don't want to buy a new one only to find out it's not the motherboard :(

Attachments

• 5 BSODs.zip
    90 KB · Views: 1
Though nothing was specifically cited as the cause of your issues by the fact that there were four different error codes i9n five files and in light of your symptoms there is a strong possibility that your issues is with corrupted memory.

What makes this an even stronger possibility is that two error codes are the same 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT which is the strongest error code for corrupted memory.

Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Hi, I already did that before (mentioned it on the first thread :)). I even bought a new RAM and replace all of them when I had these random BSODs and freezes. I'm planning to buy a new motherboard tonight as it's the only "suspected" culprit...

Sometimes my mouse+keyboard freeze too and if I unplug and plug them back, my keyboard doesn't have any of its backlighting and it's dead until I have to reset my comp

Sorry for not catching that.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? If they don't set your memory voltage to the manufacture's specs.

I am leaving very early Monday morning to go on vacation and won't be back here until Wednesday July 20th. I've asked mark56 and Archean to look into the threads I am active in. mark56 has gotten back to me and said he would be glad to help. Either of these guys are good and they can read minidump files.

PM them if you need help. Hope it gets resolved.

That's okay, I know how frustrating it is to answer the same questions (and same steps to solve) here, so I understand :)

I'll just try to get a new motherboard later (Gigabyte this time, not ASUS) and see what's going to happen. Thanks anyway for trying to help out even when you don't have the obligation to do so :)

PS: and I've actually set the BIOS for the 1.5v as Kingston suggested on the memory spec rather then setting it to auto.

Back