Random BSOD with random error code (minidump attached)

michaelra

Hail great and mighty ones :) I've been searching for all BSOD errors and threads out there but it's really hard when everyone says "it can be anything - try RAM, motherboard, drivers, etc) :(

I believe if I attach a minidump file here, someone can have a quick look and find out what caused the BSOD?

Errors were varied 0x0000003B, ...000050, ...00001A, ...00000D1, etc

Seems that if Windows manage to be up without BSOD, it will stay good (even if I play games, watch movies, etc).
Only after I let it sleep and wake up, I can have that random BSOD (and sometimes I don't)

Would appreciate the help!

Attachments

• 050511-34507-01.zip
    22.6 KB · Views: 2
A mixed bag of minidumps often suggests a memory error and this one that you have posted is quite clear in pointing to memory corruption.

Run through this guide to check your RAM.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time and run for at least 24 hours (or until an error occurs) with memory intensive programs, playing games or a video. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

Aww...I was hoping that the problem was just one of the drivers or hoping a clean Windows install will help :( Thanks for the suggestion, buddy.

It's a bit hard to test because sometimes it can run for days, as long as I don't put it to sleep mode/shut it down. But hopefully memtest can help out

OK, as my guide indicates memtest is not the best at finding minor faults, running the PC on one stick at a time will give more accurate results. If being brought back from sleep often triggers the BSOD, let it sleep and then wake it up repeatedly with each stick and see if one of them produces the crash. You could reset your power saving options to sleep in the minimum amount of time so you can run an intensive test fairtly quickly.

If you do have to run memtest then use it on one stick at a time.

Hey Mark, not sure whether you are still following this thread. After running memtest (one memory stick at the time), I didn't see any errors on the test (and I had like around 18-19 passes for each memory stick lasted for 8-9 hours)

Is it possible (even though as you said, we cannot rely on memtest):
- The memory slot is probably faulty? I tested it on one memory slot on the motherboard. I might try the same tests on the other slot
- It's something to do with Windows? (if there is a possibility, I might reformat and see what happens)
- Not enough power?

or it's totally memory hardware's fault (from what you saw on the BSOD minidump)?

I attached another minidump if you want to double check. This BSOD came when I was playing a movie with POT media player

Attachments

• 051511-23244-01.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 1
Once I subscribe to a thread I get an email telling me another post has been added, so, yes, I always keep track of threads I am involved in.

I had a look at this dump file and found a very old motherboard chipset driver, you have an Asus motherboard, yes?

Look up your specific motherboard on the Asus site and find the chipset drivers. The old one is dated Feb 2005. I would be suprised if there is not a newer version. Give that a shot and see what happens. That may fix the problem.

With regards to memtest, I have been involved in a handfull of threads where memtest has missed a fault but running the PC on one stick at a time has found a memory stick that is faulty. Therefore, that is the routine that I recommend. Try blowing out the memory slots with a can of compressed air. Run one stick at a time and when you are sure that a stick is OK try it in another slot. This, in my book, is the only way to be sure.

Thanks, Mark. I did run the test one memory stick at a time (18-19 passes for each memory stick) although they were put on the same slot.

I'll try updating the motherboard driver. If all else fails, I'll try a reformat. If that fails too..ummm I might just grab 2 new memory and just threw away the old ones :(
I bought the motherboard recently (M4A87TD EVO) some time end of last year so it shouldn't be dated 2005. I guess I should update all drivers, chipsets, BIOS, etc (might as well)

Anyhow, I really appreciate your help and honestly don't even understand how you can help all these people at Techspot without asking for anything in return :)

Thanks, Mark. I did run the test one memory stick at a time (18-19 passes for each memory stick) although they were put on the same slot.

Yup, but you have missed my point, what I am suggesting is that you run the PC with just one stick at a time (not the test) and see if you get any problems with any particular stick.

Simply replacing the memory may achieve nothing other than lighten you pocket. You need to prove what is wrong first.

Oh sorry, yup fair enough. I'm a bit hesitant on that one because the BSOD can happen once a day, or sometimes once in a week (it's a bit hard to test and I sort of need the 4 GB for my gaming n video editing). But if this continues, I'll just have to do that, I guess

Thanks for all the help so far! Would definitely praise you on my blog post some time soon about Windows BSOD (blog at cravingtech.com) :)

Thanks for that. Let us know how it turns out after further testing. I appreciate the inconvenience of running with less memory but it is the only way to get close to a 100% certainty.

Back