Random BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my custom built PC for nine months and it had been running fine till now. Two days ago I started getting BSOD (Memory_management) & at times (Page Fault in Non Paged Area). This would occur either randomly while the PC was on and even right after rebooting. Virus scan came out clean so I tried reinstalling VISTA 64 bit. This didnt solve the problem either. No software or hardware had been added to the machine so my guess was either its a hardware issue or maybe it had something to do with Vista update. As a last resort I partitioned the HD and then formated it.
During the installation of VISTA (File extraction) BSOD occured again which forced me to do the installation a second time. To me this rules our Vista update, virus or driver issue since this never happnened before.
Even after a fresh installation ,I still get BSOD randomly. I tried different trouble shooting softwares such as Hard Drive inspector 3.32(CNET) which told me HD is failing (S.M.A.R.T test) .."not sure how accurate this is" and another software called video card stabilty test trail software (CNET) which showed some errors.
CPU temp and HD temp are normal.
One thing I did forget to mention is that I did notice HD keeps on making this sound as if its reading/writing even when the system is idle and not updating anything. At times PC was acting sluggish when opening different windows.
I am leaning towards HD failure but also suspect ( video card or RAM). Do you guys know if a failing HD can cause BSOD with memory management issues?

COMPUTER SPECS

OS; VISTA 64bit

PC Specs:
ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard -

EVGA 01G-P3-N870-AR GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card -

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX -

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - (8Gigs)

Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Much thanks
David

Sounds like faulty Hard Drive.
Which can cause any issue

Mind you I did have a faulty Power Supply once that made the Hard Drive look faulty (that took a bit to work out)
But yours sways more to Hard Drive. Backup your data, and get another one (or get a second opinion from someone else ;))

Ok so I bought one but no cigar lol. BSOD still occured even during initial install. I am now isolating ram sticks to see if that helps get rid of the BSOD. I rather have bad RAM than a bad video card much cheaper. I will put a follow up if I find new stuff out so might help someone else trouble shoot.Thx for the reply Kim :).

So far I have isolated the problem to 1 ram stick out of 4. However I will run memtest software to double check. Thanks a lot Kim you have helped me alot.

Cheers.
David

Blue Screen of Death

IM having a similar problem this morning I was working on my computer (XPS/Dimension 400/9150 windows xp home edition sp2) I tried going online and came up on error not enough resources are available to complete this operation the my computer freeze so I restarted and came up 0x00000024 0x00190203 (0x87399008 then changed to ox86a58e8) oxc0000102 0x00000000
I tried restarting from safe mode and last good configuration etc. didn’t work so I did the memtest and so far its working over five hrs already have on my screen 16 pass should I continue or I need to do something else
thanks for taking your time for helping others may god bless you all

HI 247,
Initially when you get the BSOD please see the top part of it where it mentions the actual error with underscores and write it down. http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm ---> An awesome link by Link590o
Although Mem test is a great software its possible for bad ram to pass it I recommend starting with basics as mentioned by Julio and Link5900 at the start of the thread. Their tips are very helpful.
As far as RAM is concerned I did the stuff the hard way. I have 4 sticks so I isolated 2 at a time to see if BOSD still occured. Luckily the first 2 I took out stopped the problem. Once I isolated the 2 I took them one at a time and saw which one was failing during a fresh vista install. Once I was done it was 1 ram stick that was causing the problem.
I think after the test isolate the rams and see what happens. What do you think Kim?

Hi lylt (I just came back online, I didn't log off before so thats why I was probably seen as online)

Anyway, the way I look at is, if one Ram card faults, and all Ram cards were bought at the same time (likely)
And its not the channel on the Motherboard (just test by putting a different (so called working) Ram card in it, and test

Then all Ram cards should be replaced
Anyway, a lot of Users have multiple Ram cards with 512Meg, it may be easier to get a couple of 1 Gig Ram cards (if that's the case)
Or replace the lot

Its your call if just replace one

Edit:
Anyway, yours says 2x2Gig, so they can be expensive

Thanks for reading my post
already scanning for over 20hrs and found one error
"test 6 pass30 failing address 0000007884c 0.5mb good fffffeff bad fefefeff err-bits 01010000 count 1 "

forgot to tell you already have 67 pass
i have 2 sticks (512mb each)only and took out one at the time and ran the test again on each and didn't find any error what could be the problem
Should i buy tow new sticks ?or its not memory issue so what could be the problem ?

Hi worker247,
Your error does not point to Ram, it's either:
  1. NTFS file structure is corrupt
  2. MBR has been compromised (corrupt)
  3. ATA/SATA drivers are corrupt
  4. Hard drive is on the way out
ie Possible Hard Drive fault

You could just try removing the Hard Drive (physically disconnecting it)
Blow out any dust. Then re-connect it

i did remove my hard drive and was clean and still cant get pass the blue screen
is there any software that can check if my NTFS or MBR or ATA/SATA compromised or corrupted ?

i tried fixing it by my self didn't work cos didn't have my win xp cd or boot cd couldnt create win boot CD either cos i was working on win vista so went over to computer tech and he made work for me didn't charge me much

the problem was my computer used to freeze a lot (cos only got 1gb) so didn't always have patients to restart so i pressed the button instead then corrupted some files makes sense .. now i put some more gb so i can use autocad adobe

now i know a little bit from computer's beside my work
thanks again for you help..

?

ok, well free bootdisks can be found here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
But your computer tech cannot supply you with the Windows CD, by making a copy of it. (as this is illegal, well.. against MS)

Anyway the extra Gig of Ram will take the load off the paging file in Windows (from your Hard Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back