Random BSODs and game crashes

Sub-Human

Hello. I've built a computer about 3 weeks ago. So it's brand new. Specs: GTX 680, i5-2500k, 8GB 1600 MHz RAM, P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 500GB 64MB cache Western Digital @ 7200 RPM, 22" 1080p monitor, TX850 power supply, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

It started with my first game, Crysis 2. The game would crash, and I'd have to Alt+Tab out of it. Windows detects an error with Crysis 2, and has to shut it down. I also once got a PFN list corrupt blue screen. After patch was installed, the game would crash straight after loading and the only way to play is to start a new game.

Then I played Metro 2033, but I got no error with that. Phew.

Then I started Far Cry 2. Same problem, like in Crysis 2. Crashes, and probably one or two corrupted PFN.

Then I skipped straight to Battlefield 3. A few crashes, PFN list corrupts. Also, I got a video card manager BSOD (Nvidia Control Panel?), and just now, a 1000007e ('check for adequate hard disk space...'). Don't worry, I've more than 400GB left. Also, I don't believe I've had any random HDD erasing.

I checked my RAM via the standard Windows RAM check, gave out no error. I've ran a driver verifier, got a BSOD on start, but got rid of the faulty driver (Daemon Tools) - I didn't check Windows drivers - but that didn't solve anything. I've reinstalled my Nvidia drivers, leaving out stuff like HD Audio and 3D vision (neither of which I use).

The only drivers that I've installed, as far as I'm aware, is the Nvidia drivers for my video card, and some drivers for my wireless PCI card. What is the problem? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Have you applied all the Windows 7 Updates, and the motherboard drivers? Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

I have my Windows update automatically, so I doubt I've missed out on anything. I wanted to apply some new motherboard drivers, but I don't know how, and people say it's not really necessary and dangerous if you're not sure how to do it. Of course, you could teach me :)

I'll check for yellow exclamation points in the device manager, sure. I think there might have been some, but not with the CPU/GPU/RAM etc.

Just because Windows Updates is set for automatic, this doesn't mean that you are getting all of them. Go into START, ALL Programs, Windows Update and run it. Select the optional updates too. Even when you see no more updates found, run it again. If any updates fail, restart the computer, or shut it down and restart it. Run Windows Update again. As far as motherboard drivers, if you see any yellow exclamation points in the device manager, we will take care of the after you completely run Windows Update

Thanks. The only update needed is Malicious Software Removal Tool x64, I've installed that, plus another optional update.

As for device manager, there were some exclamation marks. First and foremost, the Nvidia HD audio, which I disabled (I didn't install drivers for it anyways...) and uninstalled. Also,

Ethernet Controller
SM Bus Controller
USB Controller (twice)
Unknown Device.

All of the above belonged to the group Other devices. The two USB controllers are likely to refer to the two USB 3.0 slots on my motherboard, which I didn't plug in (I didn't plug in some other cosmetic stuff either, because I'd need to buy an adapter for them and I don't need those slots anyways).

Everything else is just fine.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'll test out my system now that I've deleted Nvidia's HD audio. Hopefully, that'll solve the problem (although I doubt it).

OK. I've installed all the drivers you've listed.. And I think I might have recognized the problem. Also, under Devices and Printers, apparently my PC needs troubleshooting - as expected, the driver for Unknown Device is missing. I'll go ahead and install it, see if that completely clears up my device manager.

EDIT: The driver for Unknown Device is not there, i.e. doesn't exist. I'll probably delete it from my list.

EDIT 2: The values on the device start with USB. I suspect this is another USB port problem, possibly my front case ones. I've disabled and uninstalled it, my keyboard/mouse are still working.

That unknown device is probably the USB 3 ports or a RAID controller driver and you must realize that this is new technology, but the device manager should contain no exclamation points and you shouldn't have to disable anything in the device manager, even if you don't use it. I don't do anything ASUS, and I do have a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard coming in Monday, for my upgrades

OK. Thanks for the help, then. Also, do you think I should attach my minidump files? Perhaps that'll help us identify the problem.

I've installed the latest Nvidia graphics driver, yes. Also, I've removed Daemon Tools completely, and got PowerISO instead. Daemon Tools' driver turned out to be faulty (BSOD at startup after driver verifier).

I'll run a driver detector now and see if there's anything bad about this. Hopefully not.

EDIT: Driver verifier didn't blue screen me at startup. I suppose one less problem to take care off.

I just had another BSOD yesterday when Internet surfing. Win32k.sys trying to access something was the cause.

I've finally ran Memtest86+ and no errors came out after 8 passes (no bit fade test). What am I supposed to do?

Unknown Device reappears every time I boot my system, no driver, exclamation mark. It's actually Valkyrie BootROM or so Windows says. I don't know where to get a driver for it. Any suggestions?

It's an Athros Valkyrie BootROM Bluetooth driver. Do you have the Valkyrie BootROM dongle attached to your computer?

It could be a cover to protect the port. The Athros Valkyrie BootROM Bluetooth driver still needs to be installed. This driver IS on the ASUS site I gave you!

True :)

Installing the driver now. I'm still getting fairly low framerates in Battlefield 3 though... Out of ideas on what to do next. And I'm kinda sure the BSODs haven't stopped just yet.

Ugh... Just got from a BSOD with the code C9 (IO manager trying to verify a faulty driver). Happened as soon as I tried to launch NFS Shift. Restarted the PC, same problem. And Windows loading times (when the Windows logo forms) have increased, it seems, practically doubled. Bad driver? Bad Bluetooth port? Both?

Back