Random BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadbluescreener

hi i've js bought a MSI GX-630 and though it has many problems it also blue screens. i think it's happened 4 or 5 times now since i got it like a week or so ago.

The latest happened when I just left it running and fell asleep. i woke up to see Vista telling me the laptop had a blue screen while i slept. =[
here are the details for the latest one

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 9225

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 884069F0
BCP3: 88406B3C
BCP4: 82053430
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030609-01.dmp
C:\Users\Bolton\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-9155890-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Bolton\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7CA.tmp.version.txt

The dump files are from all the BSODs i think.

Specs:
AMD Turion X2 QL-62 2.0GHz
4GB RAM DDR2
nVidia GeForce 9600m GT
250GB HD
Windows Vista x86 SP1

Three of your errors are 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message.

Specifically cited is the Vista OS driver wininit.exe and is a Windows start-up application. It's function is able to record inputs and manipulate other programs. These Windows drivers are usually too general to be of much help. But in the mix was the driver vsdatant.sys that was unable to load because of the executable and this specifically belongs to Zone Alarm. This driver has popped up here a lot lately. It could be that as wininit.exe engages at start-up and ZA engages at start-up to protect, the former is blocking the latter.

Disable or uninstall Zone Alarm and tell us if you gain stability just as long as it doesn't void your warrenty.

Your fourth error is 0x77 and there are several causes but the one you must be aware of is these can be caused by defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM. In fact, this minidump specifically cited memory corruption. Therefore, run memtest on your RAM (this won't void any warrenty).

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* If you have bad RAM tell MSI because it is still under warrenty. Give them your mindump error reads. By the way, nice system.

Thank you very much for such an informative reply. I'll try those suggestions and get back to you. Yes it is a nice system, thanks.. when it decides to work properly. I ordered it from newegg and when i received it the warranty sticker on the bottom of the laptop was broken so i don't know what's happening. Again, thank you.

If anything you need to contact NewEgg A.S.A.P. and tell then of the broken warrenty sticker. It may mean nothing but you never know...

It bluescreened again! this time while in sleep mode. :(
i haven't been able to get a CD to run the memtest properly yet.

i plan to contact both MSI and Newegg but im in Jamaica right now so i have to call them @ specific times so im waiting for a weekday to do so.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 9225

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 85182578
BCP3: 8660A380
BCP4: 85E27790
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030809-01.dmp
C:\Users\Bolton\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32678093-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Bolton\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF127.tmp.version.txt

im going crazy cuz this is my first laptop that i picked out myself. Man i should've gone wit that dell.

also could you explain to me how exactly memtest works? as in what i'm supposed to be looking for and such. i've seen screenshots but im still not entirely sure.

Your error is 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

The driver specifically cited is netr28.sys and this belongs to your Edimax RT2860 series wireless LAN Card. Update your drivers.

As for Memtest it throws a series of mathematical strings at your RAM and the only thing you need to be concerned with is the Errors and number of Passes.

okay so i attempted to run memtest. i burned the memtest86+-2.11 ISO file to a CD. Then i rebooted with the CD in the CD drive. I pressed delete button and made sure the CD drive would boot before the hard drive but still windows loads up instead of the memtest. =S. what am i doing wrong?

okay so i attempted to run memtest. i burned the memtest86+-2.11 ISO file to a CD. Then i rebooted with the CD in the CD drive. I pressed delete button and made sure the CD drive would boot before the hard drive but still windows loads up instead of the memtest. =S. what am i doing wrong?

Go into your BIOS and place the order of booting to having your CD/DVD drive as first bootable. Save and Exit. Does this resolve the issue?

As for your wireless LAN drivers I suggest doing a complete uninstall of all drivers and do a clean reinstall with the drivers you want.

Yes I did just that. I changed the order of the bootables to have CD/DVD drive as the first to boot. so no that doesnt resolve my issue. =S

I have never before run into the problem you are experiencing. :confused: If the CD is placed in your CD/DVD drive before booting or rebooting and the drive is first bootable the test should kick in.

Check your BIOS bootable sequence again. Does it still show your CD/DVD drive as first bootable?

yes it does. i even had a friend of mine check it today and all was ok. i checked the BIOS and even b4 i changed anything it was in the order
USB Flopp Disk Drive
CD/DVD Drive
Hard Drive
Network Device

I changed that order so the CD/DVD drive was @ the top of the list.

I'll attach a pic of the ISO on the CD.

Okay, what is the order now?

If this doesn't work you can run this test by floppy drive. Just download the correct file. I've done it several times and like the CD drive the floppy must be first bootable.

=\ but i dont have a floppy drive

while i was trying to get the CD to boot properly i saw a windows memory test come up yesterday though. im not too sure of how i did it or of what it reli is, i'll attach a pic of it.

btw when i used roxio to add data to the CD there was an option there that said make bootable CD and i tried that option but then it would only accept image files and not the ISO o maybe that could be part of the problem?

also attaching pic of current boot order

Do you know what Network Device is?

Go this order:

CD/DVD

Harddrive

Network Device

USB Floppy

Any changes?

I put it in that order and here i am again. went str8 to windows. mind you, each time i do this i feel the CD drive run for a while and the light comes on but then it js shows me the window loading page. and i've actually used the CD drive for other things so im sure it works.

Let's hold off of memtest for the moment. I for the life of me can't understand why it doesn't kick in.

Questions and suggestions:

1. Are you still getting BSODs and if so are you doing anything specific when it happens?

2. I suggested earlier that you disable/uninstall ZA. Have you tried it yet to see if your system stabilizes?

3. Uninstall and reinstall your wireless drivers.

P.S. It is in the wee hours of the morning. I need to go to sleep. Try the suggestions I gave you because drivers are cited as the cause of your crashes.

1. not since the last time when it was in sleep mode.

2. it's the only antivirus i have right now so i haven't yet. im trying to get AVG to replace it.

3. i'll go do that now.

i've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and nw im gonna try to get AVG. thank u for all the help man. i dunno what i'd be doin without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back