Random characters, computer doesn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jools1976

Hello. I have an HP computer running Xp Home that recently had the following message and wouldn't boot:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed dlls for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem

I ran HP Recovery which resolved that error... but now I have another problem. During the recovery process there were several .DLL files that it said couldn't be recovered. Now when I boot I get the HP startup screen, then it goes to a black screen with about 10 random characters and figures which aren't even on the keybord, in the top left corner of the screen. It doesn't boot past this. However, if I press F10 during startup (which should be System Recovery) it doesn't give me the garbled letters and it boots normally. Has anyone come across something like this before? Thanks!

Here's a bump, if needed.

What does HP say about the symptoms? What you relate as the response to F10 from the spash screen does not resemble the expected challenges asking to confirm your intentions to access the recovery partition. Yet you conclude that it boots normally.

If you made a set of CDs for System Recovery (HP oem load), this may duplicate what you termed HP Recovery. One of the options may be to restore the Recovery Partition.

Any of this deletes user files & applications.

You could pursue this as a virus/malware attack, but I doubt that it is worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back