Random Computer Freeze/Not booting up (RAM related i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

Ok, here's the deal, ill start by writing my hardware specs

Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 (Watercooled)
ASUS Maxiumus Extreme Intel X38 (Socket 775) (Watercooled)
OCZ 2GB DDR3 PC3-14400C8 1800MHz Platinum (2x1GB) Dual Channel (OCZ3P18002GK)
x2 ATI HIS Radeon 4870's (Crossfire)
X2 Samsung Spinpoint T501 500 GB 16MB Buffer
OCZ GameXStream 1010W
Triple Radiator 3x120mm Fans, 2x120 Intake, 1x120mm and 2x90mm Exhaust Fans, Corsair RAM Cooler

Last week i got the ASUS Maxiumus Extreme Intel X38 (Socket 775) motherboard, as my ASUS Maxiumus Formular Special Edition Intel X38 (Socket 775) died, and it was under warranty, as they no longer made the Special Edition version of that board, and as i wanted a watercooled Northbridge, i requested a upgrade to the ASUS Maxiumus Extreme, which i was given (Thanks Overclockers)
anyway, this meant i had to sell my DDR2 RAM and get DDR3 RAM, which i did. At the same time i got x2 ATI HIS Radeons for crossfire.
As you can see, there is a lot which could be causing this new problem. I also re-formatted the hard drives, and did a fresh install of Windows XP.

The problem, i get BSOD's if i run my RAM at the specified 1.95v 1800Mhz @ 8-8-8-24, or my computer just wont boot, and i have to reset the BIOS (which is annoying after the 40th time)
So i set my RAM to 1.95v 1066Mhz @ 8-8-8-24 and it seems to work fine.
When i start Crysis, it loads a level and just freezes, forcing me to force shutdown (push the off button on the PC for 5 seconds)

Its not a heat issues, as my CPU is running at 20*C idle to 40*C load
My RAM has a Corsair RAM cooler, and the Northbridge is also watercooled and running at 40*C.

To get the RAM to run at 1800Mhz, i have to overclock my CPU to 3.6Ghz @ 450FSB & x8 Multiplier, as i cant get the 1800Mhz RAM speed in the BIOS any other way.
I ran Memtest on each stick at 1800Mhz, and its just full of errors, go down to 1066Mhz and nothing.
Also, with the RAM running at 1066Mhz, Crysis still crashes, so I'm left wondering if something else it causing it?

I get 'IRQL Less Than or Equal' errors, or something like that when it BSOD's on me, which i know from first hand experience is sign of faulty RAM.
Other times the PC just freezes and i get no log or error.

Iv done a Disk Check, deleted the pagefile, defragged the hard drive, and made a new pagefile, still no joy. Any suggestions? Is it the RAM, which i can RMA. I don't think its the PSU, as it can delivery 1010Watts. Its not heat. Could the Crysis thing be a Crossfire problem, as Call Of Duty 4 runs perfectly?

Thanks in advance

"I ran Memtest on each stick at 1800Mhz, and its just full of errors, go down to 1066Mhz and nothing"...

Doesn't this tell you something? No errors at 1066MHz, but no overclocking, right?

yeah, but the RAM is sold as being able to run at 1800 Mhz, i wasnt even overclocking it, i had to underclock them 800Mhz just to get it to run stable, when they should easily work at 1800Mhz, like it says on the sticker, i even increased the DRAM voltage slightly, still crashing

Then the motherboard and the memory are not compatible

check out the link, and click on reviews, the second reviewer has the same motherboard as me, plus this RAM is optimised for ASUS boards, if you click on the link, and click on 'Product Description'

RAM

We are going round and round here... You have troubleshot this yourself. It is your findings not mine. You lower to 1066 and the RAM errors go away. How does Crysis play at 1066?

We are going round and round here... You have troubleshot this yourself. It is your findings not mine. You lower to 1066 and the RAM errors go away. How does Crysis play at 1066?

i appreciate your help, I'm just point out a few things.
It freezes even at 1066, but the rest of windows runs fine, i can even stress it in orthos with no errors, where as with the RAM running at 1800Mhz, i cant even last a minute in windows before it crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back