glowingnissan07

Custom PC Specs

AMD Phenom II X4 (Quad core - 3.41 Ghz)
New Gigabyte Motherboard (forgot name)
4 GB Ram
ATI Radeon 4800 HD
320 GB SATA Hard Disk
Windows XP Home, SP3

Not gonna lie. This PC is a beast. Able to play games like Crisis on highest settings (even with DX9, that is possible) with minimal stuttering.

But to get the point, my PC randomly crashes, something seemingly common on custom jobs like this one. Drivers all seem to be up to date, and I've done scans already for viruses, malware, and spyware. When i mean random, i mean RANDOM.

Like sometimes, several hours into a game. Bam, restart. Or, browsing firefox looking at basic HTML. Bam, restart. Or AS SOON AS THE WINDOWS LOGIN SCREEN APPEARS. Bam, restart. Other times, it can be fine for days, even weeks at a time. So I don't think its anything I'm doing thats triggering it.

It's getting very annoying, and I don't want it to fry itself from doing that too much. Its definately not temp, I have set alarms so i know when its getting too hot.

The only clue i got is from Event Viewer. I had about 2 dozen restarts today, all with this error.

Souce: Service Control Manager
ID: 7023

The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

windows support absolutely no help. My guess is the powerbox, but i know its over 500 watts (540 i think), which should plenty for this rig. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

my guess would be power supply... i'd use 600w+ for almost any HD48xx series video card.

Well it used to happen to me when my PC components where overheating while i played games. You may want to look at your fan if its not clogged up with dust as that can block the air coming in to cool your components and overheating will cause your PC to shutdown/restart to prevent damage.

I am saying this from personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back