Post New Reply
  1. Fresh install of windows XP
    Blue screen a minute after restart, also a couple crashes during gaming

All has worked fine before

Attached minidump file, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

You either have faulty memory or a failing hard drive. First thing to do is back up all your important data, then follow this guide to test the hard drive.

3. catcher

catcher TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

I have Western Digital hard drives so I downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows (or is it important I get it on a boot CD?)

I wont use the windows application as I might get a blue screen during the long test.

I tried to boot from the cd but it gave me a message about it can't find a license agreement

perhaps I downloaded the wrong file?

I have WD5000AAKS Hard drives (SE16), I chose that in the link.
    After that I clicked on "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" and downloaded the .iso file which I couldn't successfully boot from.
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&lang=en

Help me on this one please

4. Mark56

I have always recommended running from a boot disc as the drive can be tested even if the PC will not boot and the software can do its work without anything interferring. As your system can still boot, testing from within windows will be fine.

5. catcher

Well for now I managed to run the windows application and all 3 hard drives passed Quick Test
    There is extended test which takes a few hours and I am afraid I will get a random blue screen during the test. And I can't find the ISO CD version.

6. Mark56

I answered your post 3 before you edited it. Please don't edit previous posts as this causes confusion and I only receive notification when you make a new post.

I must ask how you burned the ISO image, did you follow my instructions on what to use in post 2. You cannot simply burn the file to disc you have to use image burning software.

Concentrate your test on the drive with the OS, you didn't mention you had three drives.

7. catcher

I burned the image using the program Prassi Ones and chose 'Record Generic Image' then chose the .iso file

8. Mark56

I can't advise on that software, it's not one I have ever heard of before. Try the free iso burning software in the guide I gave. It only does ISO image files so you cannot go wrong with it.

If the disc is bruned correctly and you have set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order it will work.

9. catcher

I did not encounter a blue screen for the last 2 days
    All 3 hard drives passed extended test (tested via windows)
    Does this mean the problem (if still exists) is not hardware related, or at least not hard drive related?

Thanks.

10. Mark56

All that means (with about a 90% certainty) that your hard drives are not to blame for the BSOD's, at least not from a physical point of view. There may be some corruption that caused the error as the crash dump does relate to a possible NTFS file system error. Crash dumps can often be misleading though especially when there is only one to look at. The same fault (whatever it may be) could cause another BSOD that will give different details.

In my first post I stated that this was most likely to be your hard drive or your RAM as memory corruption was also pointed at in the crash dump.

I would suspect that further BSOD's will occur so please send in any future crash dumps as they happen.

Meanwhile you could run these tests.

Disk Check

System File Checker

Memtest

11. catcher

I will do these tests
    meanwhile, another blue screen has happened

Attached Files:

12. Mark56

This BSOD doen't confirm the problem but adds to the evidence that this is a hardware problem as it specifically states "hardware". Continue the tests, but I have a hunch this going to be your memory, backed up by the first minidump. Try the Memtest first, it may save some time.

Just for the record the first one was code 24 this last one was 8E.

13. catcher

I ran memtest and got one error in cycle 15
    I assume that confirms it?

I just need to figure out which of the 3 memory sticks is giving the error

14. Mark56

Yes, you have a bad stick.

Run the test on just one stick at a time and you will find it.

15. catcher

Thanks for the help :)
    I hope this is indeed the only reason for the blue screen

Also, is this normal for a bad stick to cause the windows date/time reset to 2001? (after computer was off and I turned it on)

16. Mark56

The date change is normally due to a flat CMOS battery which should be replaced.

PC's can have more than one problem at a time but you cannot be sure until your have found the faulty stick and removed it.