Random crashes with GeForce 9500GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Gday

Ever since I did a clean install of my OS (Win2k), I have been getting nothing but grief when I play Warcraft 3.

This game is not a graphics intensive game, and the reason I went with 9500gt is because it uses heat pipes as opposed to a fan. (My old GeForce 6800XT fan became too much for me to listen to)

Anyway back to the problem I am having, usually mid game all the graphics become corrupted. Today however I had just started to host a game and my graphics went ape.

Normally an alt tab out of the game (which takes forever) fixes the problem. Then once the game finishes I reboot my PC. Today my whole PC locked up. I ended up having to give it a warm boot.

I have tried unistalling the drivers and reinstalling them, the problem still persists.

I also noted that on this clean install the CD installed PhysX. When I replaced my old card with the new one, it never gave me an ounce of grief other than the time it took to alt tab out of Warcraft 3.

I have since upped the FPS to 75 to see if this will stop the corruption. (it was on the default 65mhz).

I have also now deleted all signs of PhysX in a hope that it would fix it, alas it didnt.

I am now totally out of ideas, and am looking going backwards with a GeForce 8400GS.

The other alternative I have (which I am not keen on) is to reinstall my old GeForce 6800XT minus the fan.

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden I am getting these crashes?

N.B. The corruption only occurs when I am playing Warcraft 3

OS Win2k
AMD Athlon 64x2 5200+

Have you checked the gpu temps, these can commonly cause crashes. Download something like evga precision and you can check the temps of the card.

How is the case airflow, the card doesnt cause a whole lot of heat, but if your case is cramped with not much airflow it can cause your system to constatly shutdown or crash as you call it.

Have you checked the gpu temps, these can commonly cause crashes. Download something like evga precision and you can check the temps of the card.

How is the case airflow, the card doesnt cause a whole lot of heat, but if your case is cramped with not much airflow it can cause your system to constatly shutdown or crash as you call it.

The airflow in my tower is excellent. As for the evga precision it will run only under XP or Vista. Not my Win2k

Woooo hooooo found a version of evga precision that will work on win2k

GPU is 72

Is that good bad or average?

the os doesnt matter, as I thought, your card is running hot. Your case air flow isnt as "excellent" as you think.

72 is high, rather you're just browsing or gaming.

the os doesnt matter, as I thought, your card is running hot. Your case air flow isnt as "excellent" as you think.

72 is high, rather you're just browsing or gaming.

Ok then, how would you suggest I keep my tower cooler? It has a fan attached to the isside of the casing.

Did I mention that my GeForcr 9500GT is a heatpipe cooled one and not fan based. Also it is very rarely shutdown.

Yes just the one, overheating of my tower has never been an issue.

I have a Thermaltake 600W PSU. Its just this card has all of a sudden gone buggy.

Also since I upped my FPS to 75 I have yet to experience the corruption while I am playing Warcraft 3. If it does it again, then I will look to see where at all possible I could mount an extra fan.

If that fails, then I can only guess my card has gone caput.

one fan? For proper case flow you need at least one intake and on outtake fan, if you only have one fan im guessing its going out. Where is the air coming from?

one fan? For proper case flow you need at least one intake and on outtake fan, if you only have one fan im guessing its going out. Where is the air coming from?

I will be getting a molex fan and attaching it to the pipes on my GPU. Until I have done this I have had a desktop fan running next to my intake fan, and the GPU temp has dropped to 65 under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back