TechSpot

Random FPS drops in LoL and Dota 2

By Zak Zakka
Feb 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. For the past couple of months, I've noticed an FPS drop across all my games. I usually play games like League of Legends and DotA 2 so they aren't really CPU heavy. I thought maybe it could be overheating. This is currently my fan status:

[​IMG]

PC Specs:
    Manufacturer: HP
    Processor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-Core 2.20 GHz
    Memory: 3GB RAM
    HDD: 640GB
    Video Card: GeForce 9500 GS

Not great, but it should be more than capable of running these types of games, they're not high end on graphics.

I've tried cleaning inside a couple of times.

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Is that reading at idle?

If so, you have some worryingly high GPU temperatures.You should try cleaning the dust from GPU fan/heatsink. The CPU temperatures are also pretty mediocre, so I'd clean the dust from that fan as well.

3. Zak Zakka

Zak Zakka TS Rookie Topic Starter

It went lower after I took the screenshot, but yeah that was in idle. It had only been on for about 5 minutes.

4. deanlaing12

deanlaing12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161

I would check to see if the fan for the gpu is even still running! >.>

5. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Agreed, open up your case and turn the PC on, and and make sure all of your fans are going (GPU and CPU). If all of them are, clean out the dust from them, and see if that helps your temperatures.

6. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

Unfortunately, the screenshot does show temps that are ridiculously high. However, I wouldn't trust the Speed Fan readings. Download something more reliable such as Hardware Monitor for full system temps and Core Temp for CPU temps. Now, in the event the temps are still consistently high while using those programs. I would go ahead and recommend what everyone else has - check and clean your GPU/CPU. It would also do both components some good to have the thermal paste cleaned and reapplied.

For tips on cleaning your GPU/CPU. You can reference this guide. It was written by one of Techspots members and provides great information regarding cleaning and cooling.

7. Zak Zakka

Used a vacuum and cleaned out the dust. It's still a bit high, everything else is cooler except the GPU. Should I try using it with the case off?

8. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

Well, I wouldn't have used a vacuum to clean the dust. It's not very safe for the components. Compressed air is very cheap and is a much better way to clean the inside of your computer. Either way, did you check the thermal paste on your GPU and CPU?

9. Zak Zakka

I made sure the vacuum pressure was low, so it didn't break things, I only wanted to get rid of the big chunks. I didn't get a chance to check the GPU/CPU yet, gonna buy compressed air can tomorrow too (mine has gone for a walk). It did go down to 74-76 with the case off.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.