Random FPS drops when gaming

Hi there!

I have been googling and browsing the web for solutions, then I found this forum! I have been searching through these forums as well, and it seems like this a good (sub-)forum to post my problem...

Basically, since a month or 2 I have been having FPS lag spikes when playing games (like League of Legends, Tribes: Ascend, ...) and I haven't got a clue as to how to solve it.
I downloaded software like Game Booster and Advanced SystemCare but neither of these got rid of my FPS lag spikes. I defragment my HDD every month or 2, scan for viruses every now and then, but alas...

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio X300. I bought it 2 years and 3 months ago. These are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs)
4060MB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6002)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

If you need more information, please do let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

What do you mean by lag spikes? Do you experience this with other games outside those two? Tribes just recently went into beta so I'm curious to know if you could play it perfectly fine including intense battles at one point or if it always exhibited issues even during major battles.

If you are experiencing poor performance and huge FPS dips in gaming during major battles it's likely your hardware is struggling to keep up. To prevent this turn down your settings and experiment to find the best results.

If you're having spikes when just standing around in a static position, it's possible something else is going on. Have you checked to make sure nothing resource intensive is running in the background? Programs like Game Booster usually optimize your system by turning off unnecessary stuff so your hardware can focus purely on gaming, but double-check to make sure anyway.

These lag spikes occur regardless of what I'm doing. If I'm in a major battle or just hanging around on my own, doesn't matter. I had already turned down the settings, but it didn't affect the spikes.
A friend of mine adviced me to try and scan for malware with malwarebytes. I did it in safe mode and will see if it has helped at all. I'll post the results up here again. I also had my anti-virus turned down and had a lag spike as well, but I'm not sure if it was as frequent... I will do some more testing and let you know!

Back