TechSpot

Random freezes/no sound/cannot shutdown

By Divey
Aug 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So last night I was messing around with setting up my mic (blue yeti) and while testing some audio clips the sound just went out. I tried to force close VLC player but that did not do anything. I thought a restart was needed so I went to restart the computer and a message popped up saying "host task" or something like that. I really didn't get a chance to see it but briefly. Windows was stcuk at the shutdown screen until I manually shut it off. So I turned it back on and now there are random freezes/ flash player crashing on every web page, no sound, programs not opening or not closing. I ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner as well as my antivirus and they all came out clean. Checked the logs and tons or errors from printer errors to window errors. I have since reinstalled windows and am in the process of restoring everything back.
    My question is, what in the world was this. I have never had something this bad to where I couldn't even shut the computer down on it's own. Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to prevent this from ever happening again.
    Thanks

Terry
  2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,824   +181

Sound like you might have had a error with one of the drivers for your sound.
  3. Divey

Divey TS Rookie Topic Starter

An error in the sound driver would cause all of this to happen. Man that really sucks. Thanks for the input and I will look into the sound driver some more.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.