Random freezing. No Internet. Possible hardware problem.

deanlaing12

Hello and thanks for looking at my problem!

Symptoms (After Formatting the Hard Drive):

Random Freezing - (No error message. No white Screen. Nothing. The screen just freezes. The mouse does not work, or the keyboard. Nothing. Not even Videos.)
Limited Access to my Wireless internet. (My other laptop runs fine on it. Also tried with no computers connected to the internet.)
Ethernet port does not work at all... (Drivers say everything is fine. Device Manager says everything is fine. Does not recognize anything when I plug the internet into it.)
The laptop just froze up when it was on the Bios screen...

I checked both ram disks over-night on an extended check using windows 7 memory checker. There were no problems.

I am thinking the problem has something to do with the hard drive and Ethernet port. The machine is only 4 years old and runs perfectly when not freezing or not connecting to the internet.

When trying to update the system when I was connected to the internet (via: Wireless), I was getting errors that said my time was wrong or the internet was not working. However it was, with wireless.

UPDATE - NEW INFO!

I just realized that the laptop is only freezing when I plug the AC Adapter into it. I have never noticed this problem before...

How should I tackle this problem?

If you can get into the bios check and see if the tine is set right there. Then go back into windows Check under time settings in the control panel ,depending what os you are running. Make sure your time zone is right. Plus if possible make sure you synchonize your internet time. May work and may not just a thought.

If you can get into the bios check and see if the tine is set right there. Then go back into windows Check under time settings in the control panel ,depending what os you are running. Make sure your time zone is right. Plus if possible make sure you synchonize your internet time. May work and may not just a thought.

Thanks for your input but I formatted my laptop. So there is currently no OS on the system.

I did update the time before I posted this topic, and the updater did recognize some updates. However, the laptop then crashed again.

I would like to scan the hard drive for errors... it is possible that it may be the cause?

The ram is fine, I scanned that overnight with not a single error.

You can still get into the bios, even without an operating system installed. Make sure that the date and time are correct. If they are not correct the CMOS battery may be bad. The Windows 7 memory test might not be good enough to show real errors. Once you get Windows 7 re-installed, you can test the hard drive then

Back