random freezing, system clock changing, BIOS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi community.

I have a compaq M700 laptop, 650mhz, 192mb ram, 12g hd running Windows XP Professional SP2 w/ latest updates.

This unit has performed admirably for the few months I've had it. Used it often, with no problems.

However the other day when I woke it from standby mode, it froze with a blank black screen. I restarted and Windows loaded. As soon as I opened a program (I believe it was iExplorer), Windows froze again and I had to reboot. Upon rebooting, I recieved some form of error regarding the BIOS settings, and it asked if I wanted to change them to default. I pressed an F-key and continued booting. Windows started again, and the system clock was changed. I performed an antivirus scan with AVG, nothing was found. After another freeze, the clock changed again to a different time, then I just shut it down and left it.

I'm not sure what to think. The time indicates a CMOS battery, but I really don't think this would cause random freezing. AVG produced no viruses, but would it necessarily find everything? My next thought was a memory test; but again, there are multiple symptoms.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Also, if anyone can recommend repair services for a laptop which needs motherboard repair (solder work), please do.

Kevin

Thanks for repyling N3051M.

Normally, this would be my first action on a desktop. However because I believe a laptop would require removal of the motherboard to do this, I was hoping for more information regarding as to whether this problem could cause Windows to freeze often and randomly.

If you can offer anything in regards to this, I would definatley appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back