TechSpot

random freezing, system clock changing, BIOS settings

By quantikev
Oct 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi community.

I have a compaq M700 laptop, 650mhz, 192mb ram, 12g hd running Windows XP Professional SP2 w/ latest updates.

This unit has performed admirably for the few months I've had it. Used it often, with no problems.

However the other day when I woke it from standby mode, it froze with a blank black screen. I restarted and Windows loaded. As soon as I opened a program (I believe it was iExplorer), Windows froze again and I had to reboot. Upon rebooting, I recieved some form of error regarding the BIOS settings, and it asked if I wanted to change them to default. I pressed an F-key and continued booting. Windows started again, and the system clock was changed. I performed an antivirus scan with AVG, nothing was found. After another freeze, the clock changed again to a different time, then I just shut it down and left it.

I'm not sure what to think. The time indicates a CMOS battery, but I really don't think this would cause random freezing. AVG produced no viruses, but would it necessarily find everything? My next thought was a memory test; but again, there are multiple symptoms.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Also, if anyone can recommend repair services for a laptop which needs motherboard repair (solder work), please do.

Kevin

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

try changing the BIOS battery..

3. quantikev

quantikev TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for repyling N3051M.

Normally, this would be my first action on a desktop. However because I believe a laptop would require removal of the motherboard to do this, I was hoping for more information regarding as to whether this problem could cause Windows to freeze often and randomly.

If you can offer anything in regards to this, I would definatley appreciate it!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.