Random Internet disconnections

Ok, so here's my problem:

My internet connection will randomly disconnect, sometimes for a quick 5 second period, sometimes for 5 minutes. I have power cycled, restarted, bypassed, and reset the settings on the router. I have tried connecting to a different port in the house. I have tried using different devices (like my Wii, iphone, laptop) and nothing fixes the issue.

I called my ISP today and they came and supposedly installed brand new "everything" in the system as they put it. They left after 3 hours saying "call us tomorrow if you still have issues". Funny story.. I still have issues.

I believe I have done nearly everything in my power to sort out and find any potential problems. I've tried isolating every aspect, down to OS, individual port, and browser. I've used different devices, different ports, different everything.

Nothing makes a difference. This has happened to me for about 2 months now, but only on very rare occasion. Now it is happening roughly every 30-45 minutes, and it is absolutely MADDENING. I am a college student and do a lot of work online... and when I have no internet connection, the website I save my work on deletes it all.

Hoping for some help.

sounds like interference.

what is your connection {dial-up, ADSL, cable, satellite} ?

Are you using a WiFi connection to your router?

It's a Netgear Router with a cable connection, I have bypassed the router so I know that is not the issue. When connecting directly through my Ethernet port it still happens (on both Mac and PC laptops). I have used different browsers, partitions of my hard drive, different computers, different devices (Wii and ipohone) etc etc.

More techs were here today and supposedly changed another part of the system since the shop below me is having problems as well now (apparently they have 1 switch giving service to our building, which is retarded...). So I'm assuming it is a problem on their end, they just didn't know what was wrong and basically lied to me the other day.

Back