Random lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentacube

Hey all, I've lurked for quite a while and decided to try my problem here. Basically for the past month or so I have had random lockups and reboots. I usually don't get a BSOD, usually just locks up suddenly during a game and then my speakers cry at me. I'll list the steps I have taken so far below.

-reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows fresh
-updated all drivers for all components with new drivers
-ran scandisk and disk defrag
-replaced my power supply with a better brand name one
- reseated all devices and cleaned any dust out of the machine
-ensured proper cooling
-replaced older thermal paste from cpu
-ran memtest (came back completely clean)
-have set it to run no background applications upon booting up
-updated to SP3 after all that, just in case

=================================================================
PC Specs
=================================================================
CPU: AMD athlon 64 4000+
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
GPU: ATI Radeon X800GT
RAM: 4x 512mb sticks of PC3200 DDR-SDRAM (OCZ plat. revision 2)
HDD: a seagate something or other

Attaching the dmp files I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mini102508-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 5
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x4E_99
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Possible solution: Download and run memtest from www.memtest.org for a minimum of 7 passes. Please note ther are several tests performed per pass.

It may be best to test the ram 1 stick at a time instead of all at once. After you have tested all the ram please post back and let us know the outcome.

Please note that faulty ram can sometimes pass memtest

baddew: Note for all; if memory problem shows up under bugcheck and the memtest does not show errors, run the test in safe mode. I did this and the errors that never showed up in normal mode popped up like minnows after food. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic113909.html source

Since you ran a successful memtest, we'll look elsewhere. I can't open minidumps so I'll try another approach.

You are saying the the freezes and reboots began before SP3- is that correct? Is so, we can rule out the noted conflict with SP3 and AMD processor.

If there is an application or system problem causing the freeze, we might find it in the Event Viewer. This holds logs for everything that happens in the machine. We would be looking for any Error that happened at the time of the freeze. Look at the computer clock when this happens, then:

Open the Event Viewer: Start> Run> cmd> eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
Click to open the log> look for the Error> right click on the Error> Properties> Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V)

Please ignore Warnings. DO NOT copy and paste the entire Event log- just the Error(s) at time of freeze. you do not need to include the lines of code-if any-in the box below the Description.

Ok, well for now im running memtest for at least 7 passes, but there is some other problems that you may feel would be a clue. I have an external hard drive that i plug in to a usb slot. Every few minutes, especially when there is a lot of traffic going to/from it I will hear the noise windows makes when it detects plug and play devices being disconnected, then immediately followed by the noise it makes when it detects one being plugged in. It then obviously goes through the auto play stuff, and cuts off whatever transfer it was doing at the time, as if it were unplugged and plugged back in.

The other little problem is that for a select few video formats, if I am running them in media player classic and i track too far forward my computer reboots.

Just figured I would post those while i waited for the memtest to run on my main rig. And thanks again for the suggestions so far.

Edit: Just got another error, decided to run the minidump myself out of curiosity through WinDbg and I get a lot of errors saying "wrong symbols". No idea what that means. But here is the latest dump.

Your latest minidump is as follows:
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1
Probably caused by : USBPORT.SYS

Cause
A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high. This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper addresses.

Possible solution: Update your motherboards USB drivers. Also try to update your usb device drivers.

As for windbg and the symbols: Make a folder on your hard drive wherever you want it named symbols. (I usually put it directly on the C: drive) so C:\symbols
After you have made the folder open windbg click "file" then click "symbol file path"
If you have made the symbols folder on the C: drive then what you want as the symbol file path is as follows:

SRV*C:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols Please note, The link portion of this is only accessable by windbg so please do not click it.

That should get windbg working for you

As for your computer restarting when you track to far foward. Does this happen with other players as well? Eg: DIVX Player, VLC, Quicktime? And what select few video formats cause the issue?

The external hard drive issue seems to me that it could also be a driver related issue, so updating your usb device/motherboard drivers as stated earlier may help this problem. Please post back and let us know if updating the drivers fixes these issue or not. If not we will be more than happy to continue helping you get this issue resolved.

Please let us know one way or the other

... I have an external hard drive that i plug in to a usb slot. Every few minutes, especially when there is a lot of traffic going to/from it I will hear the noise windows makes when it detects plug and play devices being disconnected, then immediately followed by the noise it makes when it detects one being plugged in. It then obviously goes through the auto play stuff, and cuts off whatever transfer it was doing at the time, as if it were unplugged and plugged back in....

I had a customer that had a similar problem. He bought a Western Digital external hard drive. Whenever it was connected, his computer ran like a slug and he had numerous problems. Disconnect the WD external HDD and *POOF*!! Everything ran as it should.

Try a different external HDD and see if the problem disappears or is reproduced.

Best,
-- Andy

Gonna be running the last stick for the 7 passes while im in class today, but my usb drivers are up to date, and it happens with all my usb devices, including my zune.

Ok, finally got time to run all 4 sticks through at least 7 cycles and no errors were found for any of them. Still pretty stumped as to why I'm getting these lockups and errors.

Again, I offer you the benefit of the information in the Event Viewer as stated in my Post #3.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/3/2008
Time: 12:37:54 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DARK-2D601AC72A
Description:
Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.5.4.2165, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00010193.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 69 6e ure win
0018: 61 6d 70 2e 65 78 65 20 amp.exe
0020: 35 2e 35 2e 34 2e 32 31 5.5.4.21
0028: 36 35 20 69 6e 20 6e 74 65 in nt
0030: 64 6c 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 dll.dll
0038: 35 2e 31 2e 32 36 30 30 5.1.2600
0040: 2e 35 35 31 32 20 61 74 .5512 at
0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0050: 30 30 30 31 30 31 39 33 00010193
0058: 0d 0a ..

First: Run the System File Checker
Start> Run> type in sfc /scannow (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD. Proceed as directed.

2. If that does not solve this problem, uninstall/reinstall Winamp.

3. Advise uninstall SP3 from your AMD processor. Known conflict.

First: Run the System File Checker
Start> Run> type in sfc /scannow (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD. Proceed as directed.

2. If that does not solve this problem, uninstall/reinstall Winamp.

3. Advise uninstall SP3 from your AMD processor. Known conflict.

just reinstalled winamp and it fixed that, but the SP3 and AMD conflict was brought up before but we concluded it probably wasn't the problem considering the problems started while i had SP2

but the SP3 and AMD conflict was brought up before but we concluded it probably wasn't the problem considering the problems started while i had SP2

You should not have installed a major update such as SP3 to a system that was unstable. When you did, you introduces another potential for problem that has to be eliminated.

Since we have resolved the one Error from the event viewer, what is you remaining status?

Well, winamp doesn't mess up anymore. But I did notice when I threw my sticks back in all at once it was unstable again. I think I'll try running memtest using a single stick in each of the slots, see if it's a faulty slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back