Random reboots after adding additional RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

shgreen1

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on this situation.....

I have an ASUS P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe motherboard with 1gb RAM modules in slot 0 and slot 2. The system has been completely stable up to this point where I decided while upgrading the HHD I would add two more 1gb RAM modules. I purchase two Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2 DDR2 modules to slots 1 and 3. After adding this the system started rebooting. Sometimes it would get halfway through the boot cycle and restart. Sometimes it would get as far as starting Windows (Windows 7) before rebooting. Sometimes it would be in between. Pulling the RAM makes the problem go away. I assumed one or both of the new RAM modules were bad and returned them to Newegg. They sent me two more, but the same problem happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help!

Does your new RAM match your old RAM in voltage and timing? Is your RAM recognized in the BIOS? Does the BIOS set the RAM voltage to the correct setting as the manufacture has designed it? Does this Kingston (excellent memory makers) make the memory Qualitfied Vendors List that Asus has for this board (by no means is it exshaustive)?

The RAM is recognized by the BIOS and it is on the QVL for Asus. I'm not sure about the voltage and timing. Do you know a way I can check the RAM that is installed without removing it?

Thanks for your quick reply by the way.

One way is to download a nifty little utility called SIW (System Information for Windows) It will give you a list on the left hand screen and click on the Memory tab. It will give you the memory make etc.

Also consider CPU-Z.

Both are free.

I am also wondering if this mobo does not like a 4x1 memory configuration.

Awesome, thanks for that SIW tip.
ok, the memory I have installed is Corsair CM2X1024-6400. It says it's speed is 400MHz (DDR2 800)
DRAM Frequency 400.0 MHz
Memory Timings 5-5-5-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Device Locator Slot 1
Manufacturer Corsair
Part Number CM2X1024-6400
Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies 270.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
Memory Timings 4-4-4-13-15 at 270.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 5-5-5-18-22 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

It looks like the timing on the Kingston 5-5-5-15 on bootup, but may be overclocked to 4-4-4-12 low latency timings. Could this be the culprit?

I've looked for that info. When I restart and go into BIOS setup, I can't seem to find anything that speaks to the RAM. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or where I should look?

What is the name of your BIOS, i.e. Phoenix Award, etc.?

The motherboard manual should have it.

ok I found it. It seems that the memory I had installed had timing 5-5-5-18-22 and the new Kingston is 4-4-4-4-12. I guess all the memory has to have the same timing? I found where I can change it (it was set to Auto) but it appears to affect all the memory. I don't see where I can set each stick separately.

You'll need to set all the memory to the same timings and voltage. Is your new Kingston their Hyper X model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back