TechSpot

Random restarting

By snuffnchess
Nov 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there....

I have been having an issue with windows randomly restarting, and then telling me it has recovered from an error.

I ran SWC, and am hoping that fixed the issue..... however, I am noticing overall that the computer is a little sluggish, compared to how it used to be. without doing a fresh install, what is recommended to help clean up, registry, other files, etc.

One other thing that I notice, is when I goto install the "important updates" that windows 7 is recommending I install... they donwload.... but never install.....

I have an Asus Desktop, running Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending these files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

3. snuffnchess

snuffnchess TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here is a copy of the file. I tried creating a new User Profile, and I thought most of the issues had gone away... but lo and behold, I had a restart yesterday. It seems that it is happening about once a week.... sometimes more... something less... but that is a good average.

Attached Files:

4. Tmagic650

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Startup and Recovery, settings... Un-check "time to display a list of operating systems" and change "time to display recovery options when needed" to 5 seconds. Un-check "automatically restart". The minidump doesn't show anything helpful here

5. snuffnchess

Okay done...... so do I basically just wait for it to happen again, and then post here the next one??? Or will it write a new file on the next restart???

6. Tmagic650

That should stop the restarting, speed up the computers starting and yes, if you experience a BSOD, a new minidump will be available

7. snuffnchess

Thanks...... also, just ran a memtest to see if anything popped up there.... and all passed with flying colors....

The only pattern that I seem to notice is that it usually happens when watching something on Youtube or something like that..... I have checked the drivers associated with the video card, and all are up to date.

8. Tmagic650

What CPU and motherboard do you have installed?

9. snuffnchess

Motherboard is ASUS CM1630
    Processor is AMD Athlon II X 220 (2 CPUs), ~2.8 GHz

Attached Files:

10. Tmagic650

You are using integrated video ATI Radeon 3000. Do you have all the Windows Updates applied, including all the optional updates? How about having Adobe Flash, Shockwave and Oracle's Java installed?

11. snuffnchess

The ATI Radeon is the on board video card..... I am not using that as my Video card.... I am using an nVidia card, as I am running dual monitors. All windows updates are applied. Flash and shockwave and java are installed and up to date.

12. Tmagic650

Make sure the bios is set for the first video as PEG (PCIe)

13. snuffnchess

How do I do that?????

14. Tmagic650

Get into the bios by pressing a "F" key during start up... there might be something on the screen like "press F? for setup. Look carefully though the bios lists for first display device... or ask a friend to do this for you

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.