Random restarts & CRC errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently i have been having lots of crc errors whilst unzipping files. My initial thought was that one of my hard drives was on its way out. I had checked them all using the manufacturers diagnotic ultility (Seatools) with all testing features and each one, on all drives, returned without error.
I thought my suspicions were confirmed when i turned my drive on for the BIOS not to recognise one of my SATA's (a Barracuda 7200.11). After a bit of research i found out that this was prob not the cause of my crc errors as the SD15 version of the firmware supplied with my drive had a bug and causes the drive to go into a hibernated state, a separate issue i'm dealing with.

After removing this particular hard drive along with Vista out of my system i installed win XP onto another drive temporarily. I am having the same problems with the CRC errors on my other drives which seem to be operating normally. The kind of files i'm talking about are fairly large usually demos or trailers etc in .rar format.

As i understand it CRC errors can also come from faulty RAM. I have recently RMA'd some faulty RAM back to OCZ and the stuff in my system currently is the brand new RAM i got sent back from my RMA. I have isolated the restarts to be coming via 1 particular stick of RAM. I know this can be causing the CRC errors and occasional random restarts regardless of how new it is so i have checked it using memtest86 and prime95. I allowed the stick to cycle through 2 passes on memtest86 and for 10 hrs on prime 95 without error. As soon as i stopped prime 95 and had the system under no stress at all, it restarted randomly with this error in event viewer....

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8051b6e1, 0xba4ebb64, 0xba4eb860). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112609-01.dmp.

Minidump attatched below

Sorry for the long winded explanation but i thought i'd try to get as much detail out there as possible

Sys spec:
ASUS P5KC
Intel Core 2 Duo (Q6600)
4gb (2x2gb) OCZ ReaperHPC 800
ATI Radeon 4870
Corsair 520W PSU
Win XP Pro SP3

Thanks for your reply kimsland,

I have already run memtest86 for 2 passes and also prime95 (blend) for 11hrs with no errors returned! Its very confusing as i'm sure its the RAM that is faulty as i only seem to have the errors with one particular stick of RAM in my system but i cant seem to find any errors.
The OCZ forum are seemingly suggesting that it isnt a RAM problem if these tests have passed without fail - they have never asked to see a minidump file though

also apologies for zipping up the single minidump - i scanned the valid file extensions but missed .dmp somehow :eek:

any suggestions what to try next?

Yes

Remove all old Minidumps in that folder
Then download and run CCleaner Run a full clean

Then wait for another Minidump to attach one day ;)

Also if you are using a high intense Antivirus software (Like Norton or really any Internet Security package) Then try uninstalling it, mind you some also require the removal tools to be run (Like Norton and AVG)
I prefer Free Avira Antivirus ;)

Hi,
Ran CCleaner as requested and have had to wait a while for a restart!!

However i just had one a few mins ago and so i can attach the latest minidump at the bottom.

I have ESET internet security installed - would you consider that too intensive?? - its paid for though so i dont really want to be uninstalling it to replace with free software if possible.

Thanks again

ESET is good, but I'm not a favorite on Internet Security packages anymore
I prefer 1 Antivirus and possibly a 3rd party firewall like free Comodo (Windows firewall preferred)

Anyway the Minidump states:
BugCheck 1A, {780, c06b0d88, 81dcb060, 4c0}
Memory Corruption or driver fault
Memtest should be run for 7 Passes not 2 (refer to posted guide above)

Also go HERE and under "Download" confirm all your drivers are up to date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back