TechSpot

Random restarts during game

By anbdesigns
Jan 26, 2007
  1. Preface:
    I bought all the parts for a new PC, assembled, didn't POST or beep. After a few RMAs and more testing, it turns out I had a bad case speaker & a bad stick of RAM.
    Finally I get the thing up & start installing Windows XP Home w/SP2. Near the end, it says it needs some files from a SP2 disc. The XP CD I have has SP2 included. So anyway, I hit cancel or whatever & let it finish. Once to the desktop, I tried to install my onboard lan/audio drivers, but there were some MS files missing, so I rebooted & repaired Windows, which seemed to fix the problems.

Now for the actual problem.
    I'll be playing a game, and at some point, the PC restarts on me or just hangs with a black screen. Sometimes it gives me a STOP error, sometimes not.
    I've tried so many different things, I couldn't tell you if it was after a new driver or what.

Also, here are things I've tried:
    -Made sure all drivers & BIOS were up to date
    -Different video drivers(beta & from other sites)
    -Different audio drivers(Realtek & ECS chipset)
    -Different video card(Geforce 7900GS -> Radeon x1600 Pro)
    -Installed an old PCI-128 Sound Blaster card & disabled onboard.
    -AMD Dual Core Optimizer
    -Windows Hotfix for dual-core CPUs
    -Changed affinity for the game's process (so it's only using 1 cpu). This has to be done every time, but after crashing still, I haven't bothered doing it again.

I've attached a dxdiag report and the 3 minidumps I've gotten so far, as well as a screenshot using SpeedFan.

I'll go back to playing & see if it gives me another STOP error.

Just crashed in-game again (screen went black) & had to hit the reset button. No STOP error, so it's possible the minidumps I posted are irrelevant at this point.

The CPU temp in BIOS was @ 47c & the MB was @ 32c (with case closed).

I'm not sure what the 120c & 80c readings are in SpeedFan, but certainly if anything was that hot, I'd smell something ;)

Btw, should this be in a different forum?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.