TechSpot

Random restarts (graphics card related?)

1. I just built my first computer, and it had this issue ever since I put it together. I would be using it, everything normal, and the monitor read "no signal." I thought it was heat related, so I got a liquid cooler and replaced the thermal glue and got some nice case fans, one intake and one exhaust. My CPU runs at around 30C now, so I think I cleared that up.

The problem went away for a while. I played some games for a couple of hours with everything working fine. After a day or two though, the computer restarted again about 5 minutes after I had turned it on. I switched to a different older monitor to see if it was a monitor issue, but same thing happened about 5 minutes after startup.

I'm out of ideas, so I'm turning to the internet. I'm thinking it's a graphics card issue? It's not hot to the touch, but could there be some sort of connection problem?

Specs:
    AMD Phenom II X6
    ASUS Crosshair IV formula motherboard
    EVGA GTX 560 Video Card (1024 mb GDDR5)
    4 GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
    Corsair H50 Liquid cooler

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,911   +167

Are you overclocking the computer?

3. hobbesandcalvin

hobbesandcalvin TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm too much of a noob to overclock haha. Now it's progressing to restart almost immediately after i turn it on (like 20 seconds)

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,911   +167

Have you tried updating the graphics driver directly from Nvidia?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.