Random Restarts on my new system without and strain

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestygoat

I just finished this PC a month ago, q6600 2.4, 9800GTX, 4GB OCZ reaper RAM and a western digital 1TB hard drive.
Recently it started crashing then soon after that it started restarting randomly, even in idle.

I obviously don't know enough to fix this problem im having and im not even sure where to start checking.

Hey fiestygoat

Seems like a real power pc you're running there. What power supply have you got installed? Check to see if any components are overheating? The next thing would then be to check if you've picked up any viruses/malware which could be causing the problem.

The above are just places to start the troubleshooting, they might not be related to your problem. If they don't work, we could try something else.

Spyder_1386 :)

I knew that would be your 1st question, but im running a 700w OCZ PSU which has 85% efficiency.

I just switched from windows 7 BETA back to XP, plus Ive scanned with Avira, Ad-aware and Spybot S-D.

Im not sure about overheating but i checked the CPU heatpipes and they were secure.

Plus im not Overclocking.

I'm not sure what other information to post but I am desperate at this point and willing to try about anything.

not very many people responding though.

Well two things) the people who come here to help are all volunteers and so they come as they can and b) there really isn't any information provided that can help us help you.

Lets start with this: When your system crashes do you get a Blue Screen of Death with a Microsoft warning. Or, does it just shut down?

Sorry

I didn't mean to come off as impatient or arrogant, i'm just really concerned.

as for your question, it started as crashes with a Blue screen of death that were titled BAD_POOL_HEADER im not entirely sure if they are related to the crashes im having now, mainly because the crashes I have now don't go to blue screen but simply restart at random usually without provocation.

a few minutes after making this post i got a crash with a blue screen, but i don't feel like making a new post for it.

No new Replies!

Its been like 3 days and no new suggestions im about to take this PC into the back woods and end it.

its a $1200 pc.

Okay, first suggestion run memtest on your memory.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Get back to us with the results.

memtest86

i burnt memtest to a dvd with power ISO then left it test on my PC all night and some of this morning, if i read it correctly then it cam up with 0 errors.

So im back to square one, any suggestions?.

Question: How many Passes did you allow it run?

Our next step is...

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder itself). Attach to your next post. Notice the Attachment Button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

MiniDumps

Ive never used memtest b4 but above it said the number of passes was at #8,and below it said passes 18. Im not sure which of those is the actual number of passes,but it was on for much longer then 8 hours.

I have copied the minidumps and will attach them to my post >:)

if u can derive anything from then"HATS OFF" to you.

Read your minidumps and here is what they cited ...

One error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

The driver cited is nv4_disp.dll and is a Nvidia display driver.

Another error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

The driver cited in this one is again nv4_disp.sys

The remaining two are 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

The one driver cited is the Nvidia miniport driver nv4_mini.sys

The other dump cited memory corruption. You ran Memtest well. Did any errors show up at all? As good as memtest is bad memory has been known to pass it on occasion.

So, here are two suggestions:

1. XP because it is a 32-bit operating system will not recognize 4 sticks of RAM and neither will 32-bit Vista. The most is 3 gigs. Only Vista 64 bit OS will utilize 4 gigs or more. Try running with two gigs and see if that brings stability.

2. Uninstall and then reinstall your Nvidia drivers.

a. Download and install the free version of Driver Cleaner to your desktop.

b. Download the Nvidia drivers you want to install but don't install at this point.

c. Uninstall Nvidia drivers and then reboot into Safe Mode.

d. While in Safe Mode run Driver Cleaner. If it doesn't find anything then that is okay.

e. Reboot in normal and install the new drivers.

*** Let us know what steps you took and the results.

OCZ 4gb 2x 2gb sticks

Thats a hefty list, i sure hope its not a hardware failure im not sure i could get all my money back at this point the PC is a couple months old now.

Do the simplest first. Try running with one stick and see if it brings stability. When there are RAM issues it can cause all kinds of headaches and generate many error reads, but it is one of the easiest things to correct.

The only other thing showing is two Nvidia drivers but I would hold off uninstalling/reinstalling your drivers until we see if running with one stick of RAM works.

Drive Cleaner?

Im only using 2 sticks atm but if i remove one and it brings stability, does that mean that i can never resume having 2 sticks or will i just need to replace them.

Who makes Drive Cleaner i want to make sure i get the correct version.

Its called Driver Cleaner Pro and there is a free version if you search for it. I'm just wondering if it isn't the motherboard itself. What make is it?

Questions: When you gain stability with one stick do you get the same stability if you use the other? Are these 2x2 GB sticks?

1stick

Ive removed one stick of RAM am gonna Leave my computer on and see if it still restarts, Ill post the results here soon.

Also Route44 i wanna thank your for helping me even if this never gets resolved, at least im learning plenty.

New Crashes

I removed a stick of RAM like you suggested and decided to wait a bit and see if it would restart, it didn't take long until it had another random restart.

P5qc asus

Its called Driver Cleaner Pro and there is a free version if you search for it. I'm just wondering if it isn't the motherboard itself. What make is it?

Questions: When you gain stability with one stick do you get the same stability if you use the other? Are these 2x2 GB sticks?

My Motherboard is the P5QC made by ASUS, and 2x 2GB sticks made by OCZ, i removed one stick and it didnt bring any stability.

Yes, you are correct feistygoat, one sure can learn a lot when a PC gives grief to the point you want to throw it out the window. :blackeye: It is how I learned a lot: the old trial and error.

Okay, I read you four dumps and they are almost mirror of the last list I gave you. 0x50 - nv4_disp.dll 0x7E - nv4_disp.dll 0x7F - nv4_mini.sys and 0x7F - memory corruption

My suspicion is the memory and the motherboard configuration, but I wouldn't rule out your video card drivers. Can you give me a link to the memory you bought? Or, can you tell me the DDR, is it 2 or 3, and the speed?

@#%#$@!!!

This Sucks i dont wanna have to just cope with this problems . .. . .

any other solutions?

Srsly please, its driving me crazy.

It looks as though are already getting help from Route44
Route44 is very good at this, but this is a two way street, you must reply back with further info, else he cannot presently help any further.
My suspicion is the memory and the motherboard configuration, but I wouldn't rule out your video card drivers. Can you give me a link to the memory you bought? Or, can you tell me the DDR, is it 2 or 3, and the speed?

Thank you kimsland for the compliment.

feistygoat, the reason I asked you a week ago if your DDR is 2 or 3 is due to the way this Asus motherboard is designed. From Asus:

Dual-Channel DDR3 1333 / DDR2 1066
The motherboard supports DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz or DDR2 memory 1066/800/667 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The dual-channel DDR3/DDR2 architecture doubles the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance, eliminating bottlenecks with peak bandwidths of up to 19.2 GB/s.

* DDR2 1066MHz DIMMs work only on the black slots for one DIMM per channel.

* Thus my inquiry about your memory configuration and this motherboard. Asus boards are well known for their pickiness about RAM, the brand of RAM, voltage settings, etc. If this is correct then we move on.

* One other thing, i suggested uninstalling your video card drivers and then using Driver Cleaner Pro and then reinstall or update. Have you tried this? Many of your previous dumps cited ATI drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back