Random Shutdown when playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm having a really annoying problem with my PC, when playing World of Warcraft, (hardly ever happens with other games) my computer simply dies, with no warnings or anything. Then after about 2 seconds it tries to start up, and makes a buzzing noise on speakers/headphones, nothing happens then it dies again after a few seconds and tries to start again, over and over. If i pull the plug for 2-3 minutes it starts normally again. Sometimes it asks me to load bios defaults or reconfigure it manually.
Another thing is, it doesn't happen after a certain amount of time, sometimes it can happen in 10 min, 4 hours, or not happen at all.

My PC specs are
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
Asus P5QL-E
ATI Radeon 4670 HD (1Gb w/ Arctic Cooing edition)
Delta Electronics 250W PSU

Any thoughts about what is causing this, or any suggestions.
My temps are: CPU hardly reaching 60 but not going over, and GPU going to 50-55, in full load, so I don't think it's overheating.

Thanks, I will really appreciate any help.

Your power supply jumps out as the probable issue. First, Delta doesn't have the greatest reputation and second it only pumps out 250 watts -- if it actually does supply such power.

Best advice: New reliable power supply with a lot more power.

What is your budget?

Yes. Can be a power problem. But what about checking your ram?
o.gif

I heard Delta wasn't a bad one, guess it was wrong. I have about 50$ atm, not sure if I can get anything good, a recommendation will be great.

About the RAM, I did try to test it from windows with memtest86 but after about 20-30 the system would just die like it does when playing. Also tried with Windows 7's memory tester but it didn't go past 19% and I stopped it.

One thing I found to make it last longer and possibly not die is to limit WoW to 40 fps.

For clarification, how long did you try to run Memtest. In other words, how many Passes could you get it to run?

How much RAM do you have installed?

It did 2/2 passes with Windows Memory Diagnostic normal mode, and in extended mode it "freezes" at 21% in 1st pass.
I have 3Gb installed.

If it is freezing during memtest then do the following. Run memtest per stick. Install just one in slot 1. Then remove said stick and run memtest on that stick. The same for the third one. All in slot one.

Memtest rule #1: It must run for a minimum of 7 Passes and the more the better. Unless you begin getting errors anytime before 7 Passes because you know that stick is corrupted and must be replaced.

See link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back