Random shutoffs and trouble powering on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm about at my wits end with this issue for a computer of mine and I can't figure out for the life of me what the issue is. Here are the symptoms:

- If on, the computer will randomly turn off (will run anywhere from a few minutes to several hours at a time with no issues)

- If off, the computer has trouble turning on. eg: hitting the power button often causes the fans to spin for a split second and (sometimes) the boot-sequence LED's begin their changes, but it shuts off within 1-2 seconds (no post, no beep code errors), though sometimes it will power on successfully.

- There are no warning messages from the mobo, only the OS prompt saying "Windows did not shut down properly" if it managed to get to a booting/booted Windows state, so it seems like the computer doesn't realize it was screwing up.

- The machine will sometimes randomly power ON if it's currently off.

Here's what I've done:

- I did manage to run a memTest86, which reported no errors

- Tried a stripped down boot (video card, 1-stick of RAM [swapped each of my 4], and Mobo power) with current PSU and a different one; both produced this issue.

- Tried directly plugging the PSU into the wall instead of the power bar

- Tried switching the power cord connecting the PSU to AC power

- Tried removing the CMOS battery and replacing

I have absolutely no idea what's causing this, but it's driving me nuts.

Here are the system specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
P35 Neo2 Mobo
750 W Ultra Power Supply
Nautilus 500 Water Cooling
Can't recall the Video Card specs, but it's nothing spectacular (more of a number crunching machine than a gaming one)

It should be mentioned that these issues mainly cropped up when I moved to a new PSU/Case, which is a Cooler Master HAF 932, but I tested with the old PSU, as mentioned above, admittedly it only ran 400W.

The thing about the new case is that it has several more fans than the old one and, while the transition took place, I *may* have spilled a small amount of the coolant/water mixture onto the video card, a small amount of which dripped down onto the mobo. However, given that the machine has been capable of running for up to 5 hours at a time since, I don't know if this is really the cause of the problem.

If anyone has some ideas for what to try next or what could be the problem, I'd very much appreciate it!

I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to (which won't be for about another 8 days). I've just left for a brief stint out of town. I should add, though, that pressing the power switch slowly doesn't seem to do anything at all in terms of powering it up, I seem to have to press it more forcefully and more quickly than I would a normal power switch.

I doubt the force would have anything to do with it.
To me it sounds like you're pressing the power button lots of times, which eventually gets it to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back