Randomly restarting/freezing during games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everybody. A friend of mine just built a computer for me yesterday (after painstaking research of the best compatibility and best prices) and it works beautifully except for when i try to play counter-strike: source. it either freezes up, freezes up and says "the graphic card stopped owrking" (in layman's terms), or it just restarts out of nowhere.

i have an amd athlon XP 3000+, radeon 9800 pro, twinmos duel channel ddr 1GB, Abit NF7-S v2, and termaltake silent boost cpu heatsink.

the cpu heatsink is working fine and it doesn't seem to be an overheating problem. it's just driving absolutely beserk because i specifically built this computer in order to be able to game. please help!

Does this problem happen *only* in CS: Source ? How about other 3D games?

It sounds most likely either the video card is overheating, has bad drivers, or is defective. The best way to find out is to play other 3d-intensive games and report what they do as well. Try updating or downgrading the drivers. Give both of those a try then report back.

it's only happening in cs:source. it is definately not a problem with overheating, the case has optimal air circulation and i've monitored the temperatures. i ran benchmarking software for over an hour to see if it would overheat and automatically shut off because of the strain. no problems there. i've tried updating and downgrading the drivers; i'm currently using the latest omegas and the problem persists.

i've heard multiple recounts of people having this exact same problem using source due to duel channel ram (1 gig).

in regards to the last post, i've already tried using catalyst drivers, and it didn't fix the problem either. :(

i'm beginning to believe it is a problem with source engine.

If It happens *only* with CS:Source, you have a 99% chance that it is the "source" of the problem. I don't know what to suggest beyond that, other than seeing if an updated client is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back