TechSpot

RapidShare Changes. Bad Before, Worse After

By bobcat
Oct 26, 2008
Post New Reply
  1. Apparently, RapidShare thought it was being too generous and friendly to its users and decided to take some rather drastic action in its Terms of Use.

Two changes are particularly nasty.

Premium Accounts
    The download volume will be reduced from 10 GB a day to 80 GB a month. The sum of accumulated download traffic will be reduced from 50 GB to 10 GB.

Free Users
    Files that are stored completely anonymously (without Premium or Collector’s Account) can now only be downloaded 10 times. However, a file can be moved into a Collector’s or Premium Account afterwards so that downloading is possible again.

The full story is here:
    Fit for the future
    October 23, 2008
    http://www.the-collective.us/redirector.php?url=http://rapidshare.com/news.html

“Fit for the future” is the name they chose. To me they seem to follow the general notion that fit means thin, i.e. having a thinner customer base.

So, let’s have comments and suggestions for better altlernatives.
  2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Wow that really is bad. I thought the limitations before were bad, that is is going to ruin them.

I really need to find an alternative, even if I have to pay.
  3. MadEd

MadEd TS Rookie

but you can use traffic-share as a new option
  4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

That's stupid, what if you needed to host a mod on rapidshare so a few play testers could try it, but only 10 of them can actually download it?
  5. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

I like Megaupload better anyway. Also, why not just get it hosted on like Moddb.com or something if it's a mod?
  6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

I was just using a example.
  7. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Ahh, Ok.

Also, I'm going to be a complete ***** and say this, You know it's unnecessary to quote the post directly above yours unless responding to a specific part, right?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.