Raptoreum crypto's love of large L3 caches could lead to an AMD CPU shortage

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It’s no secret that crypto miners have played a big part in the graphics card shortage. Now, it appears that a new cryptocurrency mined using CPUs could have a similar effect on processors, especially those from AMD with large L3 caches.

Bitcoin Press reports that Raptoreum (RTM), which launched earlier this year following three years in testnet, could potentially worsen shortages of AMD CPUs with massive L3 caches, such as Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc processors.

Proof-of-work (PoW) coin Raptoreum is based on the GhostRider mining algorithm to keep the Raptoreum blockchain network clean from ASICs. Combining modified Cryptonite and x16r algorithms, GhostRider utilizes the L3 cache for mining, meaning miners are scrambling to grab AMD CPUs such as the Ryzen 9 3000/5000 series (up to 64MB of L3), Threadripper (up to 128MB), and EPYC (up to 256MB).

Profitability tables show that the AMD Ryzen 9 3900 can bring 4600 H/s in Raptoreum without optimizations, while the Ryzen 9 5950X can reach up to 6800 H/s, though the latter chip’s higher price needs to be taken into account when looking at profitability. For comparison, Intel’s new Core i9-12900K with its 30MB of cache offers 3700 H/s.

This Raptoreum calculator shows that using a Ryzen 9 3900X can net users 101 Raptoreum per day. With an energy cost of $0.12, that works out at an average profit of $2.98 per day. Based on the CPU’s $469 Amazon price, miners will be in profit by around 157 days. As with all crypto, the price of Raptoreum does fluctuate wildly, so these figures can change.

Some people are already snapping up Ryzen CPUs in huge quantities to create Raptoreum mining farms such as the one above that was published by El Chapuzas Informatico (via VideoCardz). It uses 28 ASUS Prime X570P motherboards and 28 Ryzen 9 CPUs.

With the run-up to the holidays and the chip crisis, some CPUs are in short supply. Moreover, AMD recently reduced the price of certain Ryzen 5000-series processors as a response to Alder Lake, making team red’s chips even more appealing to Raptoreum miners.

Center image credit: El Chapuzas Informatico

Permalink to story.

Speculative garbage... there is ZERO evidence to suggest that Raptoreum will drive an AMD (or any other company) shortage.

The original article, by the way, stems from the creator of Raptoreum itself.... hmmm... could this have been just a way to spur interest in a fledgling cryptocurrency?

Check out the reddit devoted to this...

Techspot, maybe do some research before simply copy/pasting an article from somewhere else?

Wonder how much my 5800X can earn. Now I kinda regret not snapping up a 5900X instead but at the time back in February it was nearly $300 more than the 5800X where I live.

Speculative garbage... there is ZERO evidence to suggest that Raptoreum will drive an AMD (or any other company) shortage.

The original article, by the way, stems from the creator of Raptoreum itself.... hmmm... could this have been just a way to spur interest in a fledgling cryptocurrency?

Check out the reddit devoted to this...

Techspot, maybe do some research before simply copy/pasting an article from somewhere else?
The title and article state that it COULD lead to, not would lead to, shortages. I wish we would have been told that other crypto could lead to GPU shortages before it happened. I find the article compelling and sound stating what might happen based on valid reasoning.

The title and article state that it COULD lead to, not would lead to, shortages. I wish we would have been told that other crypto could lead to GPU shortages before it happened. I find the article compelling and sound stating what might happen based on valid reasoning.
Anything COULD happen... but this article (which is simply copy/pasted from a different source) simply regurgitates information and comes to a conclusion that has zero evidence behind it.

The original purpose of this article was to spur interest in Raptoreum - which I would wager 90% of the readers hadn't heard of until reading this.

Perhaps a category of "speculative fiction" would be appropriate?

By the way... the REAL reason for shortages have very little to do with ANY crypto mining. You can blame a global pandemic (and some natural disasters) for the bulk of it.

Raptoreum is just another generic worthless crapto, if you don`t believe me here is its description from Coinmarketcap: "Raptoreum is a proof-of-stake/proof-of-work hybrid blockchain that says its goal is to solve real world issues in ways to help drive adoption and bring about a positive global change." Wow! Idk why Techspot promotes this garbage. I do know a lot of people still hope of getting rich, but now they can`t or barely afford videocards for mining. I get it, the bet is CPU mining will be the next best thing. But CPU mining has been here forever and there are many more craptos that use CPU mining, the most well known is Monero. The problem is they all have atrocious hashrates and are not that profitable. CPU mining really sucks, that`s why is not that spread. Unless the current level of stupidity of the average crapto investor goes through the roof, I don`t see this more than pure advertising.

Those crappy miners caught the GPU market, next they moved to the SSD's, and now they want to go for CPUs. If that evil takes those three components, our next rig will cost 10000 dollars (GPU, disk and CPU). It is just nightmarish!

Looking at the video makes me wonder:

It shows a bunch of X570 boards with stock AMD heatsinks that aren‘t running and not hooked up without a GPU.
- going by the heatsink, these are 3900X at best
- why did they pick an X570 board when a cheap B350 or B450 would do perfectly fine ?

This smells very fishy to me.

I agree with many posters that it would have been great to do what journalists usually (should) do, or at the minimum a smell test.

Yes, articles combining the terms ‚AMD‘ and ‚mining‘ seem to be en vogue at the moment but that doesn‘t mean simply re-posting every claim that‘s made without doing a few checks.

Looks like this currency took about oh, let's see....28 cpu's according to the article. No one else is interested.
Also, TS has tested Intel's flagship, and found it's better than the AMD cpu's for mining this currency, air cooled even. Another win for Intel!

Looking at the video makes me wonder:

It shows a bunch of X570 boards with stock AMD heatsinks that aren‘t running and not hooked up without a GPU.
- going by the heatsink, these are 3900X at best
- why did they pick an X570 board when a cheap B350 or B450 would do perfectly fine ?

This smells very fishy to me.

I agree with many posters that it would have been great to do what journalists usually (should) do, or at the minimum a smell test.

Yes, articles combining the terms ‚AMD‘ and ‚mining‘ seem to be en vogue at the moment but that doesn‘t mean simply re-posting every claim that‘s made without doing a few checks.
Only speculation, the particular board he has has REALLY good vrm's for the price point, you don't need a gpu to mine rtm, my old 3600x is mining it's 24/7 as a psu and mobo on a bench with only ram and ssd on the board.
3600x + 5600x have mined 332 coins in 2 weeks, 5600x only runs at night.

Not really worth massive investment in, unless you know you'll get it back, but as for having spare parts to throw at it, for sure, have a 1070 mining eth as well and 6900xt at night.

solar helps offset alot.

Back