Rar file doesn't work after restoring it

cschrille

Hello, today i recovered an old .rar file using Restoration. When i exported the ex. rar file it has no extension. Its just called xxxx. But when I change name to xxxx.rar to open it in winrar it says "this archive is either in unknown format or damaged".
It worked perfectly before and it has the same size as it used to, how come it wont open. Ive tried uniextract,winrar and winzip.

Please help, thanks in advance!

It is as it says "damaged". Either it isn't a rar-file, or something went wrong when backing it up/restoring it. Though I think winrar has the possibility to repair rarfiles. Try with that.

I have tried with the repair thingy but it says its corrupt, even though its the same size as it used to be.

Some bytes probably got changed in the process of restoring the file. That is why winrar tells you that the file is corrupt, because it is.

use the split halfs technique;

create a new RAR file
restore it somewhere other than the original location
** success says the program is just fine **
** failure says the program needs to be reinstalled **

find some other RAR file than the one you're having problems with
restore it somewhere other than the original location
** success again says the program is fine AND that your original rar file is corrupt

Kinda forgot about this thread. I know it is corrupt but it has files inside it since it is normal size, how can i get those files that fill up the amount of data out of there.

Double check these.
1)always try to use the same version of winRar to extract (If it was you that created it)
2)Not sure of your OS but Windows 7 isn't supported by Winrar until version 3.90
3)If no .sfv file was created or is not present, recovery is not an option

Rar file doesn't work

Hi....
Your RAR files are not working means may be they are corrputed. Now there is nothing to worry about your corrupted RAR files. You can easily get them back by using Repair RAR software. This software has the ability to repair all your damaged and corrupted RAR files. It can repair rar after crc error also. It also can repair damaged password protected archive files also easily.
Also you can download the demo version of software...

The problem with that is that the so called "free trials" don't actually fix the file. Unless you are prepared to subscribe you don't find out if it will work. As I'm dubious about the chances of success it's not an attractive option. Unless they provide a short trial of fully functioning software these adverts for rar repair software are at best misleading.

Back