TechSpot

Raw?

By OKCOMPUTER
Aug 16, 2006
  1. Hi... I must be the 1,000,000th person to create a profile just to ask for help.
    I'm ignorant about many things. If that reason satisfies you then please do help me.

I noticed this comment regarding a discussion for USB MASS STORAGE DEVICES: "check what format the drives are (fat, raw, fat32 etc), btw it is normal for teh external hdd to be recodnised as a hdd because it doesnt use a flash chip to store stuff."

I have an MP3 Player with 8 GB of storage but I haven't been able to read it's contents on the computer (I don't want to format it because the last time I did it it changed it to 1 GB capacity). I read the contents of the MP3/MP4 device ONCE... and I even saved many files in it, including viewable movies and songs. But NOW, suddenly, no computer wants to read it... it always asks for formatting.

The only thing I know is that it's a RAW FILE FORMAT DEVICE.
    Does anyone with knowledge about this wants to help me?
    How can I see its contents again?

Please help me.

THANKS.

- OK COMPUTER.

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

look for data recovery software that handles usb devices
    off hand I don't know I don't do usb devices
    O&O may do it not sure
    you should be able to change file system without a format

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

try the flash drive recovery suggestions in the FAQs, it might work for a MP3 player.

4. OKCOMPUTER

OKCOMPUTER TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

Thanks. I will try all that and post my results here.

Thanks again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.