Razer acquires Nextbit, makers of the cloud-connected Robin smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nextbit, makers of the crowdfunded smartphone Robin, has been purchased by gaming peripheral maker Razer. Financial terms of the deal, which closed earlier this month, were not provided.

Tom Moss, co-founder and CEO of Nextbit, said his company will operate as an independent division inside Razer that’ll focus on unique mobile design and experiences. They’ll essentially be doing the same thing they already do, he said, only “bigger and better.” The Nextbit brand will persist.

Nextbit is no longer selling its Robin smartphone and accessories through official channels. Those who already have a Robin can expect the company to fulfill warranties for six more months and receive software updates and security patches through February of next year.

Nextbit’s Robin handset featured a fresh design with middle-of-the-road specs. What really set it apart, however, was its link to the cloud and the promise that it would never run out of storage space.

In an interview with TechCrunch, Tan said that all 30 of Nextbit’s employees were joining the Razer team. While the executive didn’t give any hints as to what’s next for the company, he said it was the design talent that they really wanted to bring in.

This is the third major acquisition for Razer in recent memory after scooping up Android gaming company Ouya in 2015 and iconic audio company THX late last year.

Top image credit: The Verge

Permalink to story.

Aren't all "connected" phones connected to "the cloud"??? Urm, is this just some android skinning and apps to make it seem special or what?

What a scam. This crowdfunded then getting purchased BS.
That was probably Nextbit's intention all along. Most, if not all crowdfunded startups get absorbed by larger companies after a short while if they are somewhat remotely successful, it makes economic sense. Remember Pebble? I think that was their name before Fitbit recently sunk their claws into them.

That was probably Nextbit's intention all along. Most, if not all crowdfunded startups get absorbed by larger companies after a short while if they are somewhat remotely successful, it makes economic sense. Remember Pebble? I think that was their name before Fitbit recently sunk their claws into them.
Yes I remember. I also remember Oculus Rift. Only left a rift in its customers hearts as far as I'm concerned. I think it's a horrible tactic to employ. Absolutely horrible. They should state their intentions clearly from the beginning. It's sad if it hurts the image of crowdfunding and leads to less funding, given how useful crowdfunding can be and how essential it is for some things.

What a scam. This crowdfunded then getting purchased BS.
What I remember about Pebble is that they got really really really good offers from companies that were rejected, to end up selling at a huge loss. So I think your example was a bit odd, but get the sentiment.

The idea of startups is to actually make money, not make the world a better place. So if they are doing ok and want the independence that's good, if they are doing ok and they are offered their chance to not work again, that's good too :p

The whole nextbit promise didnt make sense. Why would I want a device to use up expensive (to me) mobile bandwidth instead of using internal storage or a SD card? Mobile signal is not always available, or fast, and mobile data for many users is EXPENSIVE. People were asking for phones with more storage, bigger batteries, not a cloud connected model. Nextbit was going to flop.

but hey, I'm sure they will do well under the company that thought we would buy the "cloud based driver" drivel as an excuse for online DRM on a mouse.

What I remember about Pebble is that they got really really really good offers from companies that were rejected, to end up selling at a huge loss. So I think your example was a bit odd, but get the sentiment.

The idea of startups is to actually make money, not make the world a better place. So if they are doing ok and want the independence that's good, if they are doing ok and they are offered their chance to not work again, that's good too :p
Making money is the soul objective of any company whether it be a startup or Apple. If the startup does 'alright', make a bit of money then they'll want to make a lot more and what better way is there than selling yourself to a global entity. Some get it wrong and some get it right. Anyway I don't know why I'm telling you this, you seem intelligent enough to know all this without any further input from me but the moral of the story is that some you win and some you lose and maybe Nextbit made the right decision selling out to Razer, maybe not, time will tell but it's not a scam as you so succinctly put it, it's a straightforward business decision with profitability, and profitability alone as the goal.

Yes I remember. I also remember Oculus Rift. Only left a rift in its customers hearts as far as I'm concerned. I think it's a horrible tactic to employ. Absolutely horrible. They should state their intentions clearly from the beginning. It's sad if it hurts the image of crowdfunding and leads to less funding, given how useful crowdfunding can be and how essential it is for some things.
Oculus sold out to FB. FB had the financial muscle to make the Rift a reality, a profitable reality and bring it to market which I think it did. Oculus couldn't go it alone, it would've ended up flat on it's face.
Although I don't know for sure, I think Pebble saw the writing on the wall that it was on it's way to the flooded gutter and Fitbit threw them a life preserver. Although Pebble drowned (RIP) at least some of it's staff was saved.

Oculus sold out to FB. FB had the financial muscle to make the Rift a reality, a profitable reality and bring it to market which I think it did. Oculus couldn't go it alone, it would've ended up flat on it's face.
Although I don't know for sure, I think Pebble saw the writing on the wall that it was on it's way to the flooded gutter and Fitbit threw them a life preserver. Although Pebble drowned (RIP) at least some of it's staff was saved.
I know the financial argument. But selling out to one of the most malignant companies on earth, facebook, is completely unacceptable. That's like funding a new kind of technology that makes growing crops/food easier or something and then getting bought by Monsanto.

I know the financial argument. But selling out to one of the most malignant companies on earth, facebook, is completely unacceptable. That's like funding a new kind of technology that makes growing crops/food easier or something and then getting bought by Monsanto.
If you were in grave danger of drowning and somebody you really disliked held out their hand to pull you out, would you accept it? Sometimes you just have to make a deal with the devil himself. Ferdinand Porsche sold his soul to Adolf Hitler, he needed him because he pulled the strings and the VW Beetle was born. Porsche went down in history as a brilliant visionary which he undoubtedly was. As for Hitler? Well I'm sure I don't have to enlighten you.

If you were in grave danger of drowning and somebody you really disliked held out their hand to pull you out, would you accept it? Sometimes you just have to make a deal with the devil himself. Ferdinand Porsche sold his soul to Adolf Hitler, he needed him because he pulled the strings and the VW Beetle was born. Porsche went down in history as a brilliant visionary which he undoubtedly was. As for Hitler? Well I'm sure I don't have to enlighten you.
I disagree. These projects were voluntary and unimportant by themselves. So while I get your analogies, I don't think they apply. Failbook is a terribad company - I'd be asking for refunds if I had pledged. Mark suckerberg can go to hell. Besides, Hitler was dope.

I disagree. These projects were voluntary and unimportant by themselves. So while I get your analogies, I don't think they apply. Failbook is a terribad company - I'd be asking for refunds if I had pledged. Mark suckerberg can go to hell. Besides, Hitler was dope.
Well that's your opinion and thoughts and you're fully entitled to them. Personally I don't like FB & Zuckerberg as much as you seem to. ;) You can throw Apple & Cook into that mix as well.

Well that's your opinion and thoughts and you're fully entitled to them. Personally I don't like FB & Zuckerberg as much as you seem to. ;) You can throw Apple & Cook into that mix as well.
Deal. We'll Cook the Apple in a real Zuckerberg of a stew and then give our little potion away for free, just to piss of businessmen like Trump. I've always liked you.

Back