TechSpot

Razer Blade Gaming Laptop: Quick Review

By Julio Franco
Oct 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Appreciating the original Razer Blade required a dramatic shift in the way I thought about portable gaming machines. Form factor always took a back seat to performance. The second generation Razer Blade is not quite a high performance gaming laptop,...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

I wonder who buys these things? Macbook owners who secretly long to play games?

3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

It looks *great*... but the price vs performance is just terrible when performance is everything for a gaming laptop.

4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 883   +233

For that price it needs a GTX 670M and a 128GB SSD for the OS drive.
    My 144 shader GF116 GT550M overclocked 10% keeps up with a GT555M, its a good little GPU to play Borderlands, Dragon Age, BioShock, Left For Dead 2 etc at 900p on high settings 40-60FPS but again, a laptop like this should have more then a 660M.

5. sasrob

sasrob TS Rookie

"!!!The bottom still gets uncomfortably hot!!!"

If this is the case on a new machine after a good 6 months of gaming dust will start to build up and increase the heat which in turn will burn out the system!!! The vents are no way big enough to cool i7 cpu plus 660m GPU. A very expensive laptop with very poor cooling system. leave well alone.

6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

Every normal component heats up to a degree that you can't touch and feel comfortable with your skin, that does not mean by any chance the hardware will burn up, its made to work at higher temperatures than your skin can handle =P

7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +42

I thought about getting one of these but I had an issue with the price vs graphic options(or lack there of)

8. sasrob

sasrob TS Rookie

In my experience working in a computer shop I see many laptops that has heat issues duo to dust build up on the heat-seek laptops. some people are lucky and it just slows the laptop others not so lucky. If the case of a laptop gets uncomfortable to hold this is not something I would support. In gaming laptops this is even more important as the laptop will be used for many hours of gaming.

9. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

So has anybody actually bought any of these? I would imagine since they came out with another one. Definitely looks like a product only for the very wealthy.

10. dawei1993

dawei1993 TS Rookie Posts: 37

But anyhow it is true that this has a poor cooling system.

11. PC EliTiST

PC EliTiST TS Rookie Posts: 44

Razer reminds Apple. I've these 2 companies in the same cauldron. You just pay a lot extra for the name. And... well, laptop. A saw a guy on Battlelog asking why his old Notebook does not run well the game...

@amstech, no... For that price it should have the GTX680M and the 128GB SSD.

12. Why not choose a better oneļ¼Œcheaper and high quality

13. CrowesPeak

CrowesPeak TS Rookie

True it would get hot over time but you should be able to use the machine without the heat this puts off. Our Blade has been cleaned and sent to Razer Support with no solution. We had major issues with excessive heat and being burned by the Razer Blade. Sent it to Blade Support and was told they updated everything and tested it. When it was returned to us nothing had been done and we had to update everything we were told they had done. With minor game play (Guild Wars 2 or Team Fortress 2) the temperature exceeds 186 degrees F on the side and underneath. The trackpad area gets very hot and was documented at being over 160 degrees F, skin can get burned at 130 degrees. Razer stated this machine was fine. Attached is a link to a site we provided to Razer for documentation http://www.hideyourasterisk.com

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.