Razer intros Anansi MMO gaming keyboard

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Razer has unveiled the perfect companion for its 17-button Naga mouse: a keyboard tailored for MMO gamers. The Anansi has 100 programmable keys with support for on-the-fly macro recording and it can store up to 20 profiles. Additionally, it has seven thumb modifier buttons below the space bar, providing a seemingly infinite number of options.

The Anansi looks similar Razer's BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard, though it doesn't have mechanical switches. Common features include five gaming macro keys on the left, while controls for media, lighting and gaming mode (deactivates the Windows key) are placed on the function keys. The Anansi also sports backlit keys, except it has multi-color LEDs.

Razer has priced its latest offering at $100/€100 and it's expected to ship worldwide in December -- the same general timeframe as the company's BlackWidow and StarCraft II keyboards. Preorders aren't open just yet, but they ought to be "soon" according to Razer.

Permalink to story.

I never have understood the need for fancy keyboards/mice to play games. I guess I'm just old fashioned and haven't been playing much during this new 'trend'.

However there has to be some type of market for it, since I hear about it all the time.

I have the G15 and the best thing I like about it is back lit keys and clock on display. Other than that I am the proud owner of a $100 keyboard.

Can anyone comment on the current state of Razer's software? I remember it being quite horrid...

i agree with poertner_1274.

But i don't think these keyboards automatically make you a great gamer.
i have a friend that is a savage on counter strike. he can play on any pc any where and will own what ever map he happens to be playing in.

I didn't realize how wonderful gaming mice were til I got one, so maybe it's the same case with keyboards. But right now I can't imagine a keyboard making me $100 happy, especially a non-mechanical keyboard. But then again, on my meager salary and with my massive student debt, $100 means a lot more to me than it does to people who don't live below the poverty line.

I do love the LED backlit keys though. Before I got a laptop with backlit keys, I could never use the computer in the dark because it drives me crazy to not be able to see the keyboard with my peripheral vision.

this so called "gaming keyboard" are all piece of junk

they use rubber dome which feels cheap to type with

if want to get a decent gaming keyboard,

get a mechanical keyboard, preferably (Brown MX Switch) "Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO"

I wouldn't pay that much for a keyboard. I currently use the Zboard Merc which I feel is ideal for gaming. It has a normal keyboard and then to the left of the keyboard are your gaming keys setup perfectly for my hand.

If i were goin high end, Steel Series for me. Practically speaking, Microsoft wireless desktop 5000 is in my future ( love that blue track technology)

The keyboard doesn't really matter I suppose but in the era of First Person Shooters it was a necessity to have a good mouse because you need the precision and accuracy.

Somehow i dont prefer these fancy keyboards with lights as they are only good for show off. Would like to go for plain simple 52key multimedia keyboard fullsize for flexible typing :)

I can't fathom how you'd need so much customizability for a MMO. Like jetkami, I also use a G15 and the best thing about it is the VFD with Ventrilo profile. So while in game, I can see who the douche screaming in vent is and kick them appropriately.
Other than that, I've used the custom keys of this keyboard in several games, but not any MMO.

Newegg is pushing the G15 for about 40 bucks every couple of weeks. I didn't think the little screen would be that useful, but its really good for displaying various bits of system info while playing the game.

The razor keyboards have always looked so plain and boring to me. Why pump out all the cash for something that has no ..."pop"

HAHHAHA had to say it...god I hate marketing hype.

Nah, razor keyboards are fairly decent gaming peripherals. However, I will stick with my good ol' trusty G15 that has yet to let me down.

To be honest I am not big on the Razor products, because I feel they are over priced, though I will say it does look nice.

motrin said:
i agree with poertner_1274.

But i don't think these keyboards automatically make you a great gamer.
i have a friend that is a savage on counter strike. he can play on any pc any where and will own what ever map he happens to be playing in.

MMORPG is different from FPS... it's like comparing baseball to cricket.
MMORPG requires a lot of button pressing, like combos and keyboards that offer multiple profile and macro keys make life easier for the players. Those specific features are totally useless for FPS players :)

Fact is that MMO's are awesome money makers and there are millions of players out there. Including myself. The target group might be small for a keyboard such as this, but with so many players it might still very well be a good business for the keyboard manufacturers and they want a piece of the pie. I for one totally understand why they are making it... whether or not I will buy one is a totally different story :)

I play MMO's but i've never understood the need for the extra profiles etc.. but still, i love the look of this keyboard! I think if they use the extra features on the G15 (the display screen) then i would definitley consider putting it on my christmas list ;)

poertner_1274 said:
I never have understood the need for fancy keyboards/mice to play games. I guess I'm just old fashioned and haven't been playing much during this new 'trend'.

However there has to be some type of market for it, since I hear about it all the time.

Gaming keyboards aren't very useful unless you use a lotta macros.

Gaming mouses' are very useful how ever, typically, you can adjust the scroll speed via a button on the mouse making it more convenient to switch how sensitive you want it on the fly, and the fact they carry additional buttons on the side make gaming easier for me.

One less button I need to press on the keyboard, if I can hit 3 buttons with my thumb.

I'm in with the G15 crowd, that little LCD is super awesome. I was incredibly bummed when my 1st gen g15 broke and the replacement ended up being orange, smaller screen(though, same resolution so not *too* bad), and I couldn't flip the screen down. I want to see more gaming keyboards with quality LCD addon options, not lots of buttons that I'll never use anyway.

Mmm I have seen some nice looking Razer keyboards and mouses, saddly this isnt one of them. I'm quite good with my under $40 wireless mouse+keyboard btw.

For that price I'd rather have a Logitech G15 that has more useful buttons, a LCD screen for small information, and then the basic stuff you'd see on a real gaming keyboard. Razer is bit overpriced imo, but their mice are nice!

Back