Razer Turret Review: A compact, wireless lapboard for gaming on the couch

Steve

Staff member

Corsair isn't the only company trying to capture the market of PC gamers who are sneaking sessions in on their couch. Razer has come up with an interesting yet vastly different alternative with its new "Turret." It is compact, wireless and comes with everything you need to get gaming right out of the box.

Sitting next to the Lapdog we reviewed a couple of weeks ago, the Turret looks rather underwhelming and if we're honest, it's ill-equipped to take on Corsair's behemoth. Likewise, the Lapdog can't compete with what the Turret offers either. As I see it, the Lapdog is for the serious gamer -- the enthusiast, if you will. It's more focused on high-end hardware and, as is so often the case, it becomes less practical for it. Pricing aside, having to plug cables in every use and then coil them up afterward is only something a select few will opt into.

I suspect casual gamers will prefer a solution they can quickly grab and start playing, and this is precisely where the wireless Turret has an advantage.

Read the complete review.

$150 for half-sized U/D cursor keys? No thanks. They're bad enough on full sized notebooks. Non replaceable mouse and really small "mouse mat" are no plus either. I really don't "get" these things. If you're sitting in a single armchair or at the end of sofa, it's often more comfortable to put the mouse on the arm of the chair separate from the keyboard. Or just buy one of those laptop trays for less than half the price where you've got a lot more mouse area plus can fit a 1" deeper keyboard with proper Up/Down cursor keys and have the option of making an "ambidextrous" mouse useful to left handers if you can actually put it to the left of the keyboard...

So all in all, after not the first but second time we read about the Turret in Techspot, this statement is what I think sums it up amazingly:
...the Turret isn't a serious gaming solution, at least not in my opinion. It's designed for a bit of causal gaming fun...

And the problem with this statement, is that you are paying premium price for "casual" usage. Maybe there are people out there who don't mind spending dough on things they will "casually" use. But if a "gaming" peripheral company makes a "gaming" set to play on, it's not meant to be casual, Razr used to be a brand of excellence, every time they make something new it's cheaply made and looses quality or breaks really fast or comes with out of the box issues.

I'm disliking everyday more and more the "gaming" brands.

Edit: It also looks like it will be really taxing on your wrists, and the design is everything BUT ergonomic. Imagine the hardness on your wrist to type with a leveled keyboard, now think on having it on your lap. Yeah again, I see you pay a premium for this device but I can't seem to get where the premium is being spent.

Back